Reviews > Food > Packaged Meals > LonoLife Broths > Test Report by Kurt Papke

Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
Weight: 230 lbs (105 kg)
Email address: kwpapke (at) gmail (dot) com
City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona USA

I do most of my hiking in the desert Southwest, but occasionally get up into the Pacific Northwest and my old stomping grounds in Northern Minnesota.  I am a comfort-weight guy when it comes to most gear, trying to stay as light as possible but I don't go to extremes.  I love bone broth, and try to consume as much collagen as possible to keep my joints healthy.

Product Facts

This product is designed to provide a hot, nutritious beverage with a high collagen and protein content, but low in carbohydrates.  This makes it useful for consumers wishing to follow a keto, paleo, or other low-carb diet.  It also could be of interest to hikers and backpackers who want to consume more protein and collagen on the trail, because it is lightweight and compact.

Product Information
Beef Bone Broth, Chicken Bone Broth, Thai Curry Beef Bone Broth, Protein Coffee
Country of manufacture
USA
MSRP
USD $19.99 for package of ten (beef, chicken, Thai curry)
USD $17.99 for Protein Coffee
Warranty
No information on packaging or website

Weight with all packaging (package of ten) Contents
Calories
Protein
Sodium
Beef Bone Broth 171 g (6.0 oz) Beef collagen, chicory root, beef, salt, yeast extract, natural flavors, spices 50
503 mg
Chicken Bone Broth 177 g (6.2 oz) Chicken bone broth, chicory root, yeast extract, salt, natural flavors, black pepper, sage, thyme
584 mg
Thai Curry Beef Bone Broth 143 g (5.0 oz) Beef collagen, salt, curry powder, natural flavors, coconut flavor, yeast extract, ginger, spices
410 mg
Protein Coffee 163 g (5.7 oz) Soluble coffee, collagen peptides
10 mg

Note that the sodium levels in all products with the exception of the coffee is pretty substantial.  This is great when I am hiking, as I need to replenish electrolytes, but may not be welcome in situations where I am not exerting myself.

Initial Inspection

ll01

The manufacturer sent a generous supply, with a package of ten "stick packs" of four flavors.  That's forty cups of broth!  The product comes attractively packaged as shown in the top row of photos above.  I was a little surprised at the size of the stick packs (see upper right above) - it's clear there is a good amount of product in each pack, this is not just flavoring.

I dumped out the Thai Curry product on a plate (see lower left above).  It is a very fine powder.  I then brought a cup of water to boil in the microwave and added the powder.  It dissolved quickly, but I did notice some residue after I drank it.  Apparently it requires a bit of a stir near the end to get a few insolubles in suspension.  This is quite typical of the other protein powders that I consume on a regular basis.

Wow, the taste is fantastic!  The straight beef and chicken of course won't have all the extra spices, but after drinking it I really felt like I had a hearty beverage.  This is going to be great on a cold day, or in the evening before I crawl into my sleeping bag!

Summary

I am really excited by this product.  I've encountered a lot of hikers who look for paleo/keto foods for the trail, and with the large amount of protein in these broths they may be able to contribute a lot to my trail nutrition.

I am also intrigued to see what kind of meals I can concoct around them.  They have a number of recipes on their website, but I go for simple cooking in the backcountry.  I am looking forward to making ramen, maybe with the addition of some dehydrated meat.  This is going to require some thought!

Check back in a few months for my report from the field.

Many thanks to LonoLife and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.

Read more reviews of LonLife gear
Read more gear reviews by Kurt Papke