Reviews > Footwear > Boots > Adidas Terrex Fast GTX Surround boots > Test Report by Brett Haydin

adidas Terrex Fast GTX Surround Shoe

EMAIL: bhaydin AT hotmail DOT com
LOCATION: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
GENDER: M
Shoe Size: 10.5 US

I started backpacking in Wisconsin as a youth, being involved in the Boy Scouts programs. As a young adult, I worked at a summer camp leading backpacking, canoeing and mountain biking trips. I now generally take short weekend or day trips. I plan several longer trips each year in different parts of the US, where I typically carry about 40 lb (18 kg). I prefer to be prepared and comfortable, but I have taken lightweight trips as well.

Terrex
Image from manufacturer's website

Product Information & Specifications

Manufacturer: Adidas
Year of Manufacture:
2017
Manufacturer's Website: www.adidasoutdoor.com
MSRP: $225 US
Listed Weight: 13.6 oz (386 g)
Measured Weight: 14.5 oz (411 g)
Color Tested:  Blue Night
Size Tested: 10.5 (also available in 6-11.5 in half size increments)
Warranty: full refund within 30 days, and a 2-year warranty

Other Details provided by Manufacturer

•  Speed lacing construction for fast and snug lacing.
  • Abrasion resistant weldings for protection
  • GORE-TEX® Extended Comfort Footwear for enhanced breathability
  • TORSION bar arch support
  • Molded Ortholite® sockliner.
  • GTX-Surround Ventilation
  • Continental Rubber for extraordinary grip.

Product Description

The adidas Terrex Fast GTX Surround, hereafter referred to as "Terrex" or "shoe" is described as a light hiking shoe. The Terrex offers full waterproof protection thanks to the GORE-TEX liner. The exterior of the shoe is made of a mix of neoprene and polyester-type fabric. The toe box is reinforced and is bound with a rubber rand that also extends back to the heel. Like the toe box, the heel appears to be reinforced with additional material. There is a loop sewn into the heel to assist with putting the shoe on.

The lacing system utilizes thin, static cordage fed through loops on the boot. The cordage can be pulled taught and locked in place with a plastic piece, similar to a cord lock. There is one pair of metal eyelets at the top, one of which is permanently closed. This means that the lace can only be undone on one side, the outside of the boot. I find this curious and sort of appealing at the same time! The extra cordage can be tucked into an elastic band, labeled "LACE BUNGEE" on the tongue. Having used similar lacing in the past, I think this is a nice touch. The tongue is constructed largely of the polyester fabric, however the neoprene-type material is sewn into the top of the tongue.

The interior of the shoes are lined with GORE-TEX and incorporates their surround technology. This is supposed to provide "360 degree climate comfort for your feet" without sacrificing any waterproofness that GORE-TEX is known for. The sockliner insert provided by Ortholite is thin and does not incorporate any support. However, the shoe does have some arch support incorporated into the design by way of adidas' torsion bar. This also allows the front and back of the foot to move independently to provide better handling of terrain.

The bottom of the shoe incorporates Continental Rubber which is supposed to provide 30% more traction (32% in wet conditions) than other shoes. The shoes have a moderate lugs on the bottom that should provide decent traction in the mud as well as on gravel. They are well-spaced with the front lugs pointing forward and the rear pointing backward.

Top and Bottom Insole Interior side
Terrex Fast GTX at a glance Insole Interior View Note the different eyelets

Initial Impressions

When I first opened the shoe box, I felt giddy with excitement just as I would opening a birthday present! I really like the shape and look of the shoes. However, I was a little concerned that they looked a little skinny. I have somewhat wider feet which can be a problem for shoe fit. After looking over the shoes to make sure there were no defects - there weren't- I promptly put them on to start breaking them in! To be honest, I really struggled to get the shoes on at first. The tighter-than-normal-for-me fit meant squeezing my foot into the shoe. I had to loosen up the laces, but after some effort I got them in. Wearing them around the house for the next couple of days, I could feel them loosen up. They are still snug at the widest point, but elsewhere they are a perfect fit. I managed to take them on a short hike on a favorite trail near my house, and they seem to fit just fine now. It is still a minor struggle getting the shoes on, but nothing I can't handle.

The temperature here in Wisconsin has been unseasonably warm, with some days topping 90 F (32 C). Even so, the shoes have not felt too hot for me. I don't expect those temperatures to last for long, so I will need to get out in the woods quickly if I want to see how they keep me cool! I am also excited to see how the lacing system holds up. I don't usually make a lot of adjustments on the fly, but these could make it easier to quickly stop and retighten the laces if they start to feel loose.

Reading the Instructions

The shoes came with three hang tags - one each for Ortholite, GORE-TEX and Continental rubber. There was little actual information on the hangtags, but adidas' website contained a bit more detail on each of the products. I found the website easy to navigate. One interesting point is that while only color option is available to order, another option is displayed on the website.

Also included in the shoe box was a document showing how to trim the lacing. As it turns out the amount of cordage is just about perfect. While I don't anticipate needing to trim it, I will see if there is an opportunity to report on this.

Summary

I am quite impressed with the adidas Terrex Fast GTX Surround shoe.  They are light, flexible and offer a good set of technologies. I am looking forward to getting the shoes out in the woods.

Pros: Waterproof design, light, innovative quick-lacing system.

Cons: A little tight out of the box.

This concludes my Initial Report. Please check back in approximately two months to see how the shoes are holding up. I would like to thank adidas and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to be a part of this test series.

Read more reviews of Adidas gear
Read more gear reviews by Brett Haydin