Reviews > Footwear > Boots > Chaco Azula Mid Waterproof Boots > Test Report by Andrea Murland

Chaco Azula Mid Waterproof Boots

Name: Andrea Murland
Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
Location: Kimberley & Elkford, British Columbia, Canada
Gender: Female
Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
Weight: 130 lb (59 kg)

I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent 2 months backpacking in the Alps. I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2-3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them. I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don’t have a lot of experience with winter in the backcountry yet. Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges. I try for a light pack, but I don’t consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

Initial Report – July 18, 2014

Listed Weight: None
Measured Weight: 768 g (27.1 oz) for the pair
Inside & Outside of Shoes

Description & Initial Impressions

The Chaco Azula Boots are waterproof mid-height hiking boots. The manufacturer’s website gives quite a bit of information about the construction, which I have summarized here.
Upper: water-resistant suede and nubuck
Lining: waterproof seam-taped bootie, polyester mesh lining
Outsole: Active Adventure outsole (EcoTread rubber and 25% recycled content), 5 mm (0.2 in) lug depth
Midsole: EVA with ESS shank
Insole: LUVSEAT polyurethane footbed (Chaco’s supportive platform which is acknowledged by the American Podiatric Medical Association)

As I mentioned, the upper of the boot is a combination of suede and nubuck. A stitching pattern extends from the laces down to the inner and outer edges of the boot, as well as to the back of the heel. The square laces run through a webbing loop at the front and then four webbing loops on each side of the tongue before going through a webbing loop in the centre of the tongue and then through a D-ring on each side. There are two metal “quick-lace” eyelets on each side of the boot, at the top. The tongue is lightly padded and gusseted to the level of the D-ring. The ankle collar is also padded and has a webbing loop at the back. The boot is 14.5 cm (5.7 in) high at the front of the ankle collar, and 12.3 cm (4.8 in) high at the back, coming to just above my ankle. The outsole of the boot has the advertised 5 mm (0.2 in) lug depth. The sole rises under the arch of the foot and curves towards the toe. The outsole itself rises over the front of the toe slightly, and there is also a rubber toe-cap at the front of the boots.

The insoles are removable. There is a pattern in the soft fabric covering the insole. The insole itself is about 4 mm (0.16 in) thick under the forefoot, and has very noticeable support under the arch of the foot. The underside of the insole has a lug pattern, with the lugs being very noticeably deeper under the arch.

The boots appear to be well-made, with no visual defects.
Details

Trying Them Out

The Chaco Azula boots are comfortable right out of the box. I have a fairly wide forefoot and need a high toebox, and my initial impressions of these boots on my feet is that there is enough room in the toe box for me. The arch support in the insole is very noticeable upon putting on the boots. It’s not uncomfortable (I have other Chaco shoes, so I am familiar with the LUVSEAT footbed), but I can feel it. It falls in the right place on my feet. The laces are easy to pull snug and tie, and are long enough to tie into a double-knot, but not so long that they drag.

I went for a short walk, and the boots were comfortable with no immediate uncomfortable spots or slipping in the heels. Hopefully that stays the case on rougher terrain and longer hikes.

Summary

The Chaco Azula Waterproof Mid boots are waterproof mid-height hiking boots. They seem comfortable so far and look well-made. I am looking forward to testing out how well they function on the trail over the next few months.

Thanks to Chaco and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test the Azula Mid Waterproof Boots! Check back in approximately 2 months (September 2014) for my Field Report to see how my feet are holding up!

Read more reviews of Chaco gear
Read more gear reviews by Andrea Murland