Reviews > Footwear > Boots > Mishmi Takin Kameng Hiking Boot > Test Report by Marina Batzke

MISHMI TAKIN KAMENG MID HIKING BOOT

NAME: Marina Batzke
EMAIL: mbbp2013 (at) yahoo (dot) com
LOCATION: Los Angeles County, California, USA
GENDER: F

I converted from day hiking and car camping to backpacking in 2013. My backpacking trips are one or two weekend excursions per month in Southern California. The locations range from Joshua Tree National Park desert areas in the cooler months to mountainous elevations in the summer months. I always hike with a group and like the gear talk in camp. While I am looking for ways to lighten my pack, I am not an ultra-lighter: I like sleeping in a tent with a sleeping bag on a comfortable pad. In January 2017, I added snowshoeing to my winter activities.

Manufacturer: Mishmi Takin International, Florida, USA
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Made in Romania
Manufacturer's Website: http://mishmitakin.com
MSRP: US$230.00
Listed Weight: 22 oz (630 g) for size 42
Measured Weight: 21.8 oz (618 g) for my size 40
Other details:
Available in three color choices: Sunset Orange, Tundra Grey, Moss Green.
Women's Sizes: from EU 36 (US WM 6) to EU 42 ( US WN 10.5)
Men's Sizes: from EU 41 (US M 8.5) to EU 47 (US M 13.5)

The Mishmi Takin Kameng - Mid eVent Waterproof Hiking Boots arrived inside a shoe box. When I opened the box, I noticed a very intense, really strong leather + chemical odor. Quite pungent. Three promotional tags were attached to one of the two boots. The boots are described as ideal for long distance hiking in both hot and wet conditions over mixed terrain.

The Kameng hiking boots have a mid-cut upper for full ankle support. Despite a tall height of 7 in (17.8 cm) from sole bottom to top of scree collar, each boot feels rather light and is easy to balance in one hand.
nice looking boot

I immediately loved the burnt orange color of the water and abrasion resistant Suede and Cordura upper. The dark orange tones are accented with grey-black color. A rather unusual boot color and I feel a really cool looking boot!
heel cap left - toe bumper right
deep lugs

A look at the black Vibram Gironda outsole shows 0.25 in (6.4 mm) deep lugs. The sole rubber has the tradename Vibram Megagrip: a high performance rubber compound, specifically designed to grip on wet and dry surfaces, while providing rugged longevity and optimal support on uneven ground. The sole is 11.25 in (28.6 cm) long front to back.

The Kameng hiking boots have a black abrasion resistant heel cap. All around is a rubber toe rand for additional foot protection. In the front, there is a black rubber toe bumper acting as stone guard.

At the top back, each boot has a stretchy heel section which shall provide comfort when descending slopes. Attached to the boot body and to this stretchy heel section is a sturdy fabric pull tab that shall help pull the boot up over my heel.

Looking at the front, the shoe laces are round and at the lowest point loop through two eyelets on each side. The laces then continue through four orange leather loops on each side. At the highest point are two shoelace hooks on each side. The Kameng hiking boots have a gusseted tongue. Attached to the top of this tongue is a decorative fabric rectangle that shows the Mishmi Takin logo and name on the outside, plus says 'Dare to Explore' on the inside.

Venturing into the inside of the boot, I can squish the inner liner with my fingers. I clearly notice a cushioning foam when pressing into the lining. The Mishmi Takin Kameng hiking boots have a 100% waterproof and highly breathable eVent membrane, which is designed to not let water in plus to vent sweat out. Each boot has a tag on the inside with the shoe size; my boots are UK 7, EU 40, USA L 9, plus the tag says "Made in Romania". The boots are described to have an engraved shank to provide torsional stability and give me support on uneven ground.
foot-bed and that small shoe symbol sticker

At the very bottom, my hand touches an OrthoLite foot-bed, designed to cushion and improve foot comfort. I can pull this foamy lightweight foot-bed out. It has a blue fabric surface that my foot will rest on, imprinted: OrthoLite comfort from the inside out. On its underside, the blue foot-bed foam shows the words: breathable, moisture transport, shock absorbing, cushion comfort, anti-microbial, odor fighting. I can easily slide the foot-bed back into the boot bottom.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

The boots did not come with any instructions about care or treatment.

A small, easy-to-remove adhesive-backed sticker shows the three shoe sign symbols:
the Kameng's upper is man-made [the sticker does NOT show the leather symbol]; the lining is textile and the outer sole is made from rubber.

TRYING IT OUT

I pulled the Mishmi Takin Kameng boots on, wearing a pair of summer hiking socks. My UK 7, EU 40, USA L 9 boots are a bit generously sized for my feet. In Europe, I usually buy street shoes in size EU 39, while in the US, I own hiking boots in both US WM 8.5 and 9 sizes. Mishmi Takin does not offer Womens boot half sizes, so I had picked the US WM 9, concerned that my feet swell when hiking during the hot summer months and I do not want my toes to hit the front of the boot inner. I will pull the shoe laces tighter to gain a closer fit enveloping my feet.

SUMMARY

LIKES:
burnt orange boot color with dark accents
lightweight
deep lugs
sturdy Vibram sole
firm, strong heel pull tab
contoured foot-bed

NOT SO GREAT:
strong, intense chemical / leather odor that lingers
no women's half shoe sizes

FIELD REPORT

FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

Marion Mountain, San Jacinto State Park, USA
July 2017
3 day/ 2 night backpack 14 miles (22.5 km)
Elevation: 4700 - 10320 ft (1430 - 3145 m)
Temperature: 51 - 65 F (11 - 18 C)

San Jacinto Peak, Southern California, USA
August 2017
2 day/ 1 night backpack 11 miles (17.7 km)
Elevation: 8500 - 10830 ft (2590 - 3300 m)
Temperature: 50 - 74 F (10 - 23 C)

Palos Verdes, Los Angeles County, USA
August 2017
1 day of invasive plant weeding
Elevation: 200 ft (60 m)
Temperature: 81 F (27 C)

Mt. Pinos, Los Padres National Forest, California, USA
September 2017
1 day off-trail navigation 5 miles (8 km)
Elevation: 8850 ft (2700 m)
Temperature: 50 - 70 F (10 - 21 C)

Joshua Tree National Park. Southern California, USA
September 2017
2 day/ 1 night backpack 10 miles (16 km)
Elevation: 4000 - 5800 ft (1200 - 1770 m)
Temperature: 53 - 84 F (12 - 29 C)

Mt . Lowe, Southern California, USA
October 2017
1 day on-trail navigation
Elevation: 5600 ft (1700 m)
Temperature: 95 F (35 C)

Joshua Tree National Park. Southern California, USA
October 2017
2 day/ 1 night backpack 14 miles (22 km)
Elevation: 4000 - 5800 ft (1200 - 1770 m)
Temperature: 53 - 74 F (12 - 23 C)

PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

I received the Mishmi Takin Kameng hiking boots on a Thursday, wore them in the office on Friday, hiked up steep 5620 ft (1713 m) over 5 miles (8 km) on Saturday and back down on Sunday. I was pretty impressed that the boots fit really well without trying them on in a shoe store and without any breaking-in period. I noticed one hot spot on the right little toe and immediately put duct tape all around the toe. That helped and I never got a blister despite the steep, relentlessly climbing trail.
The boots on San Jacinto

I also wore the boots on a day of invasive plant weeding on a local hill. I had to step on a spade frequently to loosen the soil and afterwards squat to pull the invasive plants out of the loosened soil. I did not tighten the boots as much as I would when out hiking but kept the laces rather loose because I had to squat down so much to plug the weeds.
weeding invasive plants

The Mt. Pinos navigation event was entirely off-trail. I hiked up and down narrow gullies that had accumulated a variety of obstacles, mostly fallen trees and big boulders. I traversed along hillsides and all throughout the Mishmi Takin Kameng boots provided very good ankle support and grip strength across all terrain.
wearing boots with gaiters in Joshua Tree Nat Park

Both Joshua Tree National Park outings were entirely off-trail. We hiked to camp through dried up, low-growing, clingy and spiky brush across sandy desert floor and at times sank into a hole or shallow tunnel. From camp, we hiked up to the peak on a variety of terrain, including ridges, traverses, and simply up slopes. The boots provided good stability and foot support. The deep lugs and the Vibram sole always had a good grip and I did not slip or stumble.

The orange boot color has been commented on frequently. My Mishmi Takin boots do stand out in color and I am proudly wearing the noticeable orange. The boots are no longer as bright orange as in the beginning due to a lot of dust and sand exposure. After each of the two Joshua Tree outings, I brushed off the boots with a plastic-bristle brush to remove the spiky thorns and sand.

The pungent, strong odor lingered throughout the first several trips. Really odd that the boots would have such a strong, unpleasant smell at first. Now after several months of use, that pungent odor is long gone.

As I live in Southern California where it is usually hot and dry, I have not had a chance to wear the boots in rain or wading through creeks. I have worn the Mishmi Takin boots on many hot days, such as 84 F (29 C) in Joshua Tree National Park. Once we got back to the trailhead, we were all happy to get our boots off and get some fresh air on our feet again after a long day out hiking on rough terrain. My socks were a bit damp but not wet.

I want to mention that I cannot remember the last time I got a blister. My feet simply do not develop blisters. Therefore also throughout this test period, the Mishmi Takin Kameng boots have not caused any blisters on my feet.

SUMMARY

The Mishmi Takin Kameng Mid hiking boots are lightweight and have provided excellent grip strength and very good ankle support. I am very pleased with their performance.

Thank you to Mishmi Takin and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test these bright colored, lightweight Kameng hiking boots another two months.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Mishmi Takin gear