Reviews > Footwear > Footbeds and Insoles > SOLE Active Footbed > Test Report by David Wilkes

Test series by David Wilkes

Gender: M
Height: 5'11" (1.80 m)
Weight: 210 lb (90.7 kg)

Biography:

I started backpacking in 1995 when I moved to Washington State. Since then, I have backpacked in all seasons and conditions the Northwest has to offer.  I prefer trips on rugged trails with plenty of elevation gain. While I continuously strive to lighten my load, comfort and safety are most important to me. I have finally managed to get my basic cold weather pack weight, not including consumables, to under 30 lb (14 kg).

Product Information

112 g/4 oz

Product pix

Product Description:

SOLE Men’s Active Wide Medium footbeds

These are customizable footbeds (aka insoles). The “Active” line comes in thin, medium, and thick models and each has a wide version. They are heat moldable and feature odor control technology and a moisture wicking topsheet. They are advertised as offering cushioned support, reduce plantar fascia strain, improve balance, promote natural foot alignment and distribute weight/pressure evenly. They are also latex free (vegan!) and have zero drop.

March 28 2019

packed in stuff sacksI chose the wide version of the medium thickness US Mens size 10 (43-44 European). They are available in full US sizes ranging from 3 to 14 (Men) 5-16 (Women) [this range covers European sizes 36-47].

We normally do not remark on product packaging but I would note that SOLE is a “1% for the planet” company and the packaging reflects their environmental stance. The main body of the package is made from 100% recycled post-consumer card stock and the plastic (also recycled) is made to be easily removable from the card to ease recycling of the materials.

Heat Molding:
The insoles include  heat/wear moldable base layer to provide a customizable fit. The product can be used with our without heat molding. The packaging and company's web site has instructions on how to heat mold the insoles and even include an “Opti-therm indicator” that changes color when heated to the proper temperature for molding. The basic idea is to place the insoles in a preheated oven (90C/194F) for 2 minutes, then immediately insert into shoes (in place of the original insoles) and put the shoes on. Then stand straight for two minutes to allow the insoles to mold to the users feet.

Upon receiving the product I compared them to the insoles of my Nordic ski boots and they were a close enough match that I could simply put them in without altering them. I put them on and walked around for a few minutes. They seem to fit fine, at least as good as the original insoles. The heel cup is not quite a snug as I would like, but as I have wide feet with a narrow heel, this is normal for most insoles that I have used.

Likes/Dislikes:
I like that the company supports environmental causes not just in word but in action, and the footbeds seem well built and comfortable. I also like that they are offered in an assortment of sizes, widths, and thicknesses so I can choose the product that fits my needs. Finally I appreciate that they can be custom fit to my individual (and somewhat unique) feet.

Field Report

due June 2019

Long Term Report

due August 2019

This concludes my initial report. I would like to thank the folks at SOLE and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.

Read more reviews of SOLE gear
Read more gear reviews by David Wilkes