Reviews > Footwear > Sandals > Sperry Topsider H20 Bungee Sneaker > Test Report by Jamie DeBenedetto

H20 Escape Bungee Sneakers

Me and the Saguaro

Age and Gender 41 year old female

Height 5' 11" (1.8 m)

Weight 170 lb (77 kg)

Shoe Size Woman's 11 or 11.5 (US) / Men's 9.5 to 10.5 (US)

Email JamieD1005(at)gmail.com

Background/Experience

I spent many hours of my youth fishing, rafting, creeking, and day-hiking in the wild places of Arizona. I caught the backpacking bug in high school. Presently I work as an exPAWdition leader so I'm in the field, usually with a pack of dogs, at least sixteen times a month. Primarily I'm a day-hiker with the occasional family camping trip mixed in throughout the year.
I prefer hammocks over ground sleeping and I gravitate toward multifunctional gear that enhances my comfort level with minimal fuss and weight. My total pack weight is typically less than 25 lbs (11 kg).

Location

Grey/Camo, Navy, Orange/Blue

Available Sizes

Men's 7 to 13 in Medium Width

Weight per Shoe

5.6 oz / 160 g (size of shoe weighed was not specified)
Care Instructions Hand wash, air dry
Warranty Info No specific warranty information was found on the manufacture's website but they do offer a return policy: "Merchandise must be returned in its original unworn condition and received WITHIN 45 DAYS OF ORIGINAL PURCHASE (invoice date)." They do not offer exchanges.

(Above: Taken from the Manufacturer's Website or Packaging)

(Below: Observed by Tester as Received)

Weight per Shoe 7.9 oz / 224 g
Test Size and Color Men's USA 10M / UK 9 / EUR 43 - Orange/Blue

It's a hoodie!Product Description Back to contents

The Sperry Top-Sider H20 Escape Bungee Sneakers are a very light slip-on water shoe. The sole has what Sperry calls Adaptive Wave-Siping™ which is supposed to offer traction on both wet and dry surfaces. The top of the shoe has several mesh-like areas designed to allow water to exit. There are also solid areas of material protecting parts of the heel area, the toe and the attachment points for the bungee laces. There is stretchy material around the ankle and along what would be the tongue at the top of the arch to facilitate putting on and taking off the sneaker. The laces adjust via a cord-lock and clip. On the inside of the shoe there is a removable foot bed. There are many small holes and ten slender channels etched into the underside of the insert. These are designed to direct water away from the underside of the foot bed and into built-in "Internal Water Channels". These channels run the length of the midsole with exit points on both sides of the heel section and the toe box. A lightweight permeable lining covers the base of the midsole to keep debris out of the channels and exit holes.

Arrival Condition and Informational Material Back to contents

The H20 Escape Sneakers arrived in perfect condition. After an initial inspection I did not find any manufacturing defects or any other areas of concern that would need to be addressed before testing could begin.

There wasn't any informational material included with this product.

Expectations and First Impressions Back to contents

They fit! Like many women, I'm afflicted with an unexplainable love for shoes. Sadly I often have a hard time finding properly fitting ones because I have a long, narrow foot. To accommodate my length I often have to buy men's which often end up being too wide. In this case the women's Escape Sneakers topped out at size 10, I am an 11, so I was stuck with the men's option. Fortunately, the Sperry webpage offers a sizing guide that compares their products to other brands so the buyer can hopefully get a more accurate size reading. It appears to have worked well in my case. The shoes are a little wide in the toe area but I do plan to wear them with socks most of the time so I'm not expecting any problems.

Having worn them around a bit already without socks I can see there will need to be a break-in period. After a few hours I noticed tender spots developing on both of my heels. I'm not overly worried about this as it's pretty normal with shoes of any kind but if it continues longer than what seems reasonable I'll make a note about it in my Field Report.

They are indeed very light as the website suggests. I was pleased with this aspect because obviously once something is wet it gets heavier and the last thing I want in a water shoe is something that makes me feel like I'm slogging around ten pounds extra on each foot.

My only concerns about these shoes at this time are how securely the bungee cords will be able to keep the sneakers on my feet and how well they will hold up to the rocky nature of our streams and creeks. Beyond that they seem well made and have a ton of potential so I'm looking forward to getting outside with them.

Thank you for reading. Please check back in approx. two months to read my Field Report.

My thanks to Sperry Top-Sider and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to be a part of this test series.

Jamie J. DeBenedetto - 2014

Back to contents

Read more reviews of Sperry gear
Read more gear reviews by Jamie DeBenedetto