Reviews > Footwear > Sandals > Sperry Topsider H20 Bungee Sneaker > Test Report by Theresa Lawrence

SPERRY TOP-SIDER H20 BUNGEE SNEAKERS
Test Series by Theresa Lawrence
Initial Report - July 11/14

Name: Theresa Lawrence
Email: theresa_newell AT yahoo DOT com
Location: Sparwood, British Columbia, Canada
Gender: Female
Height: 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)
Weight: 130 lb (59 kg)

I have more than 15 years of backpacking experience. Day hikes and 2-3 day backpacking trips take place on most weekends throughout the year while longer trips are only occasional. I backpack predominantly in mountain terrain (Coast Range, Cascades and Canadian Rockies) with the goal of summiting peaks. Activities I use my gear with include mountaineering, ski touring, rock climbing, kayaking, biking, trail running, Search and Rescue and overseas travel. I like my gear to be reasonably light, convenient and simple to use though I would not claim to be a lightweight hiker.

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Measured Weight: 13.2 oz/ 375 g for the pair
Colors Available: Fuschia, blue, gray
Color Tested: Blue
Sizes Available:
6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10 (medium width only)
Size Tested:

Image Courtesy of Website

DESCRIPTION & FIRST IMPRESSIONS

The Sperry Top-Sider H20 Bungee sneakers arrived in my choice color of bright blue. I thought the color would be fun and indeed it was very cheerful. I was delighted by how light weight the sneakers were. They seem like they will be very compatible for use in water and/or access to water. Looking at the shoe, I see it has an elastic bungee cord for lacing up, with a clasp at the end to fasten the excess loop. They seem to be made out of a variety of fast drying materials. I'm not sure what exactly, but they seem to be well made with very clean stitching. The inside indicates the upper is man-made. I think this is another way of saying synthetic. There is a soft felt material on the inside of the heel, which seems to aid in the comfort at the heel. The removable footbed is a type of foam with holes all over so water can drain through. The actual footbed doesn't appear to have any holes for water, but I assume the material will soak through and water will then drain through the large holes (internal channels) on the sides of the outer soles. The manufacturer refers to this removal of water underfoot as Adaptive Wave-Siping, which is also printed across the bottom of the shoe. The tread appears to be somewhat grippy and the sole sturdy and supportive. Time will tell all. I didn't see any instructions for washing, but they can obviously be rinsed in water.

TRYING IT ON

When trying it on I found the sizing to be a smidge on the smaller size. This is because usually I'm either an 8.5 or a 9, but in this shoe my toes are all but touching the end of the 9 with bare feet and touching (not uncomfortable) with socks. I'm wondering if my kayaking or SAR drysuit booties will fit in the shoes. For activities that require bare feet and of course wet feet, like creek crossings and kayaking, these seem like they will be a great asset. Since they only come in medium width, I was surprised to find that they fit me so well. I have really narrow feet and they fit perfectly for width, I don't even need to pull the bungee. They are easy to slip on and slip off and feel quite comfortable. I'm curious to see how they hold up and whether they rub in any places causing blisters. I also wonder if they breathe or just feel sweaty in the hot weather. Over the course of the test period I plan to use them for creek crossings, camp shoes, white water kayaking and possibly swift water SAR training.

SUMMARY

So far my initial impressions of the Sperry Top-Sider H20 Bungee sneakers are positive. They are very light weight and appear well made. They are sporty and cheerful looking, I may even wear them just to be trendy during the summer. Seriously though, I see myself wearing these for any bare foot wet adventure that comes my way, as well as for camp shoes when I'm backpacking. I'm interested in seeing how they grip to wet and slippery surfaces, how they might fit into my kayak and how my drysuit with latex booties fits into the shoes. At the moment the fit and comfort are superb with my bare feet, but I will be looking to see if this lasts when I'm wearing them around for longer periods of time. Stay tuned for when I report back all my observations in a couple months.

Thanks to Sperry Top-Sider, Inc. and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to take part in this test series, I am looking forward to playing in these new H20 Bungee sneakers.

Read more reviews of Sperry gear
Read more gear reviews by Theresa Lawrence