Reviews > Footwear > Winter Boots > Le Chameau Condor LCX Hunting Boots > Test Report by Michael Pearl

LE CHAMEAU CONDOR LCX HUNTING BOOT
TEST SERIES BY MIKE PEARL

INITIAL REPORT - November 21, 2017

NAME: Mike Pearl
EMAIL: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcom
LOCATION: Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
GENDER: M

I have a great appreciation for the outdoors and get out at every opportunity. I am a three-season, learning to be a four-season backpacker and year-round hiker. Currently, my trips are two to three days long as well as an annual week-long trip. I utilize the abundant trail shelters in my locale and pack a backup tarp-tent. I like to cover big distances while still taking in the views. I have lightweight leanings but function and reliability are the priority. I mostly travel woodland mountain terrain but enjoy hiking beautiful trails anywhere.

Manufacturer: Le Chameau
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Made in Romania

Manufacturer's Website: lechameau.com
MSRP: US$399.00

Listed Weight: 3.3 lb (1.5 kg) pair
Measured Weight: 3.5 lb (1.6 kg) pair

Height: 17.5 - 22 cm (7 - 8.5 in)
Ankle: 27 - 34 cm (10.5 - 13 in) *I think this means calf circumference

Color Available: Brown
Sizes Available: 6.5, 7, 8, 8.5, 9.5, 10, 11 and 11.5 US
Size Tested: 9.5 US

A note on sizing from the Le Chameau website.
"Due to the tighter fit in our Condor range we recommend ordering one size larger than you would usually wear."
My experience with this later on in this report.

Season: Year Round *rated to -10 C (14 F)

Uppers: 2.2 mm Oiled Nubuck Leather
Lining: Le Chameau LCX
Sole: Michelin OC Deep Forest

-LCX is Le Chameau technology that's a waterproof and breathable 5-layers of various textile boot lining. Feet stay dry and comfortable in all weather.
-OC Deep Forest is based on motocross tire technology from the tire manufacture Michelin. The result is a very lightweight, hardwearing, flexible and strong gripping sole.
The Condor LCX feature a 360* rubber rand.

The Condor boots arrived in the usual style shoe box. Opening the box my first impression is these are tall boots. The next thing I notice as I remove them from the box is that they are much lighter than they look. The leather of the boots is very nicely finished with a even polish. The rubber rand is even all the way around and securely attached flush to the boot. All stitching is well done and neat. The Condors almost look too good to think of stomping through the mud with.

The Condors are tall boots approximately 8.5 in (21.5 cm) from inside the boot to the top of the ankle cuff. Being so tall the laces are long. The laces pass through four metal rings at the foot. There are then five metal hooks above this to the top of the ankle cuff. The upper portion of the boot has a soft quilted cushion fabric section on the sides and back where the ankle flexes most. Opening the boots wide reveals a large tongue gusset. This should make for easy foot entry and exit. The tread of the sole has a varied pattern. It looks as it would provide traction and stability in varying conditions. And the Michelin Man is on there! I don't remember ever wearing a boot with a sole made by a tire manufacture. I do remember the Michelin Man from my youth and thought he was kinda cool. Anyhow I would imagine Michelin would know something about making durable tread.

All in all the Condors looks like exceptional well made both in material and construction. I cannot find any flaw or defect on the Condors. This a high quality boot made for wet, rough conditions.IMAGE 2

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

The boots arrived with two informational cards. One has model and size info. The second explains LCX
Technology and the design of the soles.

Product care and warranty I found on the company website.

Warranty - guaranteed for two years against manufacturing defects. This does not cover accident or
unsuitable use.

Care - clean with nothing more than water and a brush, allow to air dry
- use a silicone spray and polish using a soft, dry cloth
- keep boots in a dry and ventilated place, away from direct sunlight and away from any heat source
- if boots become wet, dry the lining thoroughly before using them again
- if storing boots for a long period, clean thoroughly and store away from direct sunlight in a dry, cool
place

TRYING IT OUT

I wear a US Mens 9 ninety nine percent of the time. Luck would have it the Condor does not come in a size 9. My foot is on the wide side for its length. So this and arch support is where fit is most critical for me. I also have a slightly higher than most arch. Based upon this and the early mentioned company suggested sizing, I went with a US 10. However this would prove to be too big. I found the size 9.5 a good fit. So while not a whole size bigger, I did need a half size bigger. Maybe because I wear a slightly larger size to accommodate my wider foot the 9.5 is actually a full size large. Either way there is a matter of sizing to consider regarding the Condor.

As far as trying the Condor on it went like this. They open wide at the top and my foot easily slips right in. Support and cradling of my foot feel good. The heel and arch hit in the right place. They fit close on the sides of my feet with room to wiggle toes up front. One pull at the top eye rung pulls the laces tight enough at the toe. I haven't laced hooks since early spring so this feels strange. But this goes easy enough and I pull tight at each level. The Condors fit close without being tight. I have wiggle room without my foot or heel slipping.

I have not worn a tall boot for some time. So I feel a small restriction in range of motion in my foot and ankle. This is most noticeable when make lateral movements, taking side steps. I went for a short walk around the neighborhood on a mix of pavement, grass and gravel. The Condor feels good on my feet. My stride is easy and unencumbered. Again a stiffer boot than a low cut trail shoe but not uncomfortable. I don't think the Condors are made with strolling the boulevards in mind. These boots are going to be much more at home in the woods.

SUMMARY

The Le Chameau Condor LCX Hunting Boots are sturdy, surprisingly lightweight and extremely well made boots. They feel solid and protective on my feet. I wore low cut, lightweight trail shoes all summer and fall so the Condors are at the other end of the style spectrum. While they limited range of motion compared to less substantial footwear they are very comfortable and move with my stride. The waterproof feature in my opinion is a must for the winter. I also think the additional height over the ankle will be of benefit once the snow accumulates. I am eager for adverse trail conditions in the Condor boots.

This completes my initial report. Field testing will take place over the next two months. Please check back then for my next report. I would like to extend my appreciation to Le Chameau and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Condor LCX Hunting Boots.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Le Chameau gear