Reviews > Hydration Systems > Bottles > Avex Brazos AUTOSEAL Water Bottle > Test Report by Andrea Murland

Avex Brazos AUTOSEAL Water Bottle

Name: Andrea Murland
Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
Location: Kimberley & Elkford, British Columbia, Canada
Gender: Female
Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
Weight: 130 lb (59 kg)

I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent 2 months backpacking in the Alps. I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2-3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them. I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don’t have a lot of experience with winter in the backcountry yet. Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges. I try for a light pack, but I don’t consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

Avex Brazos

Model: Brazos AUTOSEAL Water Bottle
Year of Manufacture: 2014
MSRP: US $15.99
Size: 32 oz (946 mL)
Other Sizes Available: 25 oz (739 mL)
Colours Available: Blue, Charcoal (tested colour)
Listed Weight: None
Measured Weight: 209 g (7.4 oz)

Description & Initial Impressions

The Avex Sport Brazos AUTOSEAL Water Bottle is a plastic water bottle which has some interesting features in the lid. The plastic of the bottle is BPA-free, and the body of the bottle is transparent. The main feature of the lid is the AUTOSEAL, which prevents spillage. To take a drink, I have to push a button, which is located directly opposite the spout, on the side of the lid, right where my fingers sit when I take a drink. Pushing the button opens up the spout and allows water to escape into my mouth. To keep the spout clean, there is a cover which flips back out of the way when I want to drink, and latches over the spout when in place. I can flick back the spout cover with my thumb and very little effort. Also on the lid is a handle, which rotates above and over the front of the spout, which could be used for attaching the bottle to something. The handle latches back out of the way just above the AUTOSEAL button if I’m not using it.

The manufacturer indicates that the 32 oz (946 mL) Brazos bottle measures 3.25 in (8.3 cm) in diameter and 10.25 in (26.0 cm) in height, and my measurements match these values. I will note that the diameter is at the widest point, at the bottom, as the bottle tapers a bit towards the neck. My kitchen measuring cup indicates that the bottle does in fact hold about 32 oz (946 mL).
Lid Details

Trying It Out

I am happy to say that in my initial trials with the bottle it held water. I also spent some time shaking it upside down, and it didn’t leak. I quite like the spout cover for keeping things clean. I also found that the bottle dispenses quite a bit of flow when I push the button and sip. I don’t have to suck at all, it’s very effortless for a good amount of water. I also think that I’m going to like the handle, as if I have my water on the outside of my pack it’s nice to have it attached in case it falls out of a pocket or something. I also found that the mouth of the bottle is wide enough to fit my UV water purifier in it. What I’m not sure about is if the bottle is narrow enough at the bottom to fit in a standard cupholder...but then I can’t think of any other bottle of this volume that does either!

Summary

The Avex Sport Brazos AUTOSEAL Water Bottle is a large plastic bottle which offers some features to keep the spout clean and keep water from spilling. I like it so far and am looking forward to carrying it hiking this summer.

Thanks to Avex and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test the Brazos AUTOSEAL Water Bottle! Check back in approximately 4 months (Oct 2014) for my Long Term Report to see how I’ve been hydrating.

Read more reviews of Avex Sport gear