Reviews > Hydration Systems > Bottles > Avex Brazos AUTOSEAL Water Bottle > Test Report by Bob Dorenfeld

Avex - Brazos AUTOSEAL Stainless Water Bottle
Test Series By Bob Dorenfeld
Initial Review    June 10, 2014

Tester Bio
Name: Bob Dorenfeld

I'm an active hiker, snowshoer, skier, and backpacker.  Home base is the Southern Colorado Rockies, where I'll hike from 7000 ft (2100 m) to above treeline, with desert trips to lower altitudes.  Six to 12 miles (10 to 20 km) daily is my norm, with elevation gains up to 4000 ft (1200 m).  Many of my backpack trips are two or three nights, other trips are longer, and I usually carry about 30 lbs (14 kg).  My style is lightweight but not obsessively so - extras like binoculars, camera, and notebook make my trips more enjoyable.

Email: geartest(at)sageandspruce(dot)net

Product Overview

Manufacturer:   Avex
Website:  www.avexsport.com
MSRP:  US$29.99
Stated Volume:  24 fl oz (0.71 L)
Measured Width x Height: 2.75 in (2.75 cm) x 11.0 in (28.0 cm)
Body Material: Stainless steel
Cold Insulation: Up to 20 hours
Carrying Clip: Yes
Color:  Silver body, gray lid, blue cap and carry clip

Brazos water bottle
Photo:  Avex
The Brazos vacuum-insulated stainless steel water bottle appears to be a sturdy container for keeping liquids cold.  Its narrow body is designed to fit most car-cup holders, and it's tapered about two-thirds up from the bottom to make a nice hand-hold.  The BPA-free plastic lid, which screws off in only one turn, is designed with Avex's patented "one-touch AUTOSEAL" design that opens the spout for drinking or pouring via a horizontal tensioned slide operated by one finger.  A flip lid swings down to lock the spout shut when not in use and to protect against dirt.  The swinging and detachable clip handle provides a way to attach the bottle to a pack or other item.  Avex says that the Brazos lid is dishwasher safe, but that the body is not (hand wash only).  The bottom of the bottle does not have a non-slip surface, but is the same metal surface as the body.  I weighed the bottle at 12 oz (340 g) empty, and 2 lb 2 oz (964 g) filled with water.  Inside the bottle and on a removable paper wrapped around the bottle are instructions about how to use and care for the Brazos.  Also stamped on the bottom are two reminders: "Top Rack Dishwasher Safe Lid" and "Do Not Microwave".

- Initial Review -

First Impressions

This is a comfortable water bottle to hold and pick up, even when filled all the way with liquid up to the threads, the recommended level, and the actual filled water matches what Avex states.  I found the lid easy to screw on and off, in just about one complete turn, and it engages snugly so I know it's on tight.  I couldn't get any water to leak out of the lid or the closed and capped spout when turned upside down, or even by swinging the bottle from the bottom.  I like the one-handed operation of the spout, which works by pressing my index finger against the button (labeled "Press Here To Drink") on the back of lid, opening the approximately 1/8 x 1/2 in (0.3 x 1.3 cm) spout.  Enough water came out to satisfy my thirst, and didn't dribble either.  The protective spout flip-cover is easy to operate, especially when using my thumbnail to open, and seems like it'll keep the spout clean.  The swinging clip handle is also easy to flip out of the way, and it detaches quite nicely by pushing against the studs holding it on to the lid, then pulling the handle ends away from the lid.  This feature might be useful for attaching the bottle to a pack clip, webbing, or other attachment that doesn't open.  As far as standing securely on a level surface - no problem, the Brazos was stable and not tippy when empty, half-full, or full.
Brazos back side
I ran one informal test to check Avex's claim that this bottle keeps liquids cold for "up to 20 hours".  Filling the bottle with 24 fl oz (0.71 L) of 40 F (4 C) water, I let it sit on my kitchen counter overnight at room temperature.  At the 20-hour mark, I found the water to be at about 60 F (15 C), which still makes for a cool drink, if not cold.  There are of course all different ways to vary this test, and I expect that if I start with ice water it'll be colder at the end of the test period.  Air temperature will also be a factor in how quickly the stored liquid warms up, as will how long the liquid is stored before used.

What's Next?

Since I'm going into summer where I live, I'll start by using the Brazos bottle for cold water and iced tea.  Most of the time I'll fill it with pre-chilled water, and I'll be drinking it within 8 hours, well within Avex's recommended maximum span.  The bottle will be carried or stored at temperatures anywhere from freezing to 90 F (32 C), depending on where I'm at (hiking, camping, travelling in the car, picnic or concert, biking, etc.).  This bottle is rather too heavy and bulky for me to take backpacking, but for dayhiking I'll give it a whirl and see how it does.

Please check in here again in about four months' time, when I'll have my Long Term Report ready with my final test results on the Brazos Stainless Water Bottle.

Acknowledgments

Thanks to Avex and to BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Brazos Stainless Water Bottle.

Reviewed By