Reviews > Hydration Systems > Bottles > Kleen Kanteen Classic > Owner Review by alex legg

Kleen Kanteen Classic

Weight:  195 lbs (88 kg)
Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com
City, State, Country:  Tucson, Arizona, USA

Backpacking Background:

I grew up backpacking in the Rockies.  I hike ranges near Tucson, Arizona during winter, Colorado during summer.  I carry a light pack, mostly water.  I tend to camp with a tarp whenever possible to reduce the weight of my two person tent.  Primarily I do day hikes, but I am known to spend 5 days out.  Temperatures range from to extreme winter to 100 F (38 C) , and elevation from 2000' (600 m) to 14,000 (4,300 m).  I bag a mountain every weekend, and walk my dogs daily through deep sand and overgrown mesquite trees in our local washes.

Product Information and Specifications:

Manufacturer:  Kleen Kanteen
Year of Manufacture:  2011
URL:   http://www.kleankanteen.com
Listed Weigh (without cap):  6.1 oz (173 g)
Actual Weight (without cap):  5.8 oz (164 g)
Actual Weight (with cap):  6.8 oz (193 g)
Size:  27 fl oz (798 ml)
Available Sizes:  12 oz (355 ml), 18 oz (532 ml), 27 oz (798 ml), 40 oz (1,183 ml)
Color:  Ocean Blue
Available Colors:  Brushed Stainless, Active Pink, Be Green, Black Eclipse, Commuter Orange, Forest Green, Glacier White, Green Energy, Indicator Red, Ocean Blue, Pink Renewal, Prevention Purple, Reef Blue, Solar Yellow
MSRP:   US $19.95

Product Description:

The Kleen Kanteen Classic 27 fl oz (798 ml) water bottle is a stainless steel water bottle with a sport cap.  It is made of 18/8 food-grade stainless steel.  It is completely BPA and other toxins free.  There is no need for a plastic or epoxy lining like that on many aluminum bottles.  The plastic cap is also BPA free and very strong and impact resistant.

When I open the water bottle, I notice that the mouth is wide enough to stuff ice cubes into.  A great feature in my opinion as a steel bottle can heat up fast in the sun.  I also notice that there is no odor of plastic or anything for that matter.  The sport-cap opens much like the classic water bottle associated with bicycling.  I simply pop up the spout and begin drinking.  There is an air release valve on the cap that automatically opens as liquid starts flowing out.  This feature keeps the fluid flowing evenly and continually, but produces an annoying squeaking sound.

The bottle stands 11" high while the cap is attached.  It can hold 27 fl oz (798 ml) of any fluid I want to put in it.   My bottle is a dark blue color with a black cap, but there are many available color options.

Field Conditions:

I attached this water bottle to my bike and went up the Mount Lemmon Highway in Tucson, Arizona. In Coronado National Forest's description of the road, they say that the road offers the biological equivalent of driving from the deserts of Mexico to the forests of Canada.  It is a 27 mile (43.5 km) long trip one way with elevation starting around 3,000 ft (914 m) and ending at 9,100 ft (2774 m).  The Kleen Kanteen was not my only water source, but instead it acted as a refill for my hydration bladder that was inside my pack.  The temperature when I started was about 80 F (27 C) and when I got to the top I was riding in a pleasant 60 F (16 C).

I took my Kleen Kanteen with me to do some peak bagging in the Santa Rita Mountains south of Tucson, Arizona.  Again, it served as a refill for my hydration bladder.  I climbed from 4,000 ft (1219 m) to above 9,000 (2743 m) ft in temperatures from 75 F (24 C) to 60 F (16 C).

I often carry this water bottle with me in the car.  In Arizona, I never leave the house without extra water.  In this instance I drink directly from the bottle.  It goes in the car with me on a daily basis driving across the city in temperatures from 60 F (16 C) up to 110 F (43 C).

Performance:

The Kleen Kanteen has performed as I expected.  It holds water or whatever I put in it without spilling.  I like the classic style spout that reminds me of a bicycle water bottle.  I am not too crazy for the sound that is made as air flows through the valve on the cap, but I understand that it is necessary to maintain a steady flow.  I love that the bottle is stainless steel.  I can throw it around all I want and it keeps its shape.  I have even managed to open a few beer bottles on the opening of the bottle, and aside from a few scratches it looks undamaged.  I also like that the inside never has any lingering scents from liquids, whether it be juice or beer or water.  I will continue to use this water bottle as a daily driving companion and as an essential extra water storage carrier.

Summary:

I got what I asked for with this water bottle.  I have a good clean way to carry fluids without being concerned about toxic chemicals.  It is sturdy and strong and I can't seem to break it no matter how hard I try.  I have noticed that it has a habit of heating up quickly if placed in the direct sunlight, but that is easily enough avoidable.  I thought the price was fair considering the rough and tumble times I put it through.  All in all a good water bottle.

Pros:

1.  Food-grade stainless steel
2.  Doesn't spill
3.  Strong and durable

Cons:

1.  Makes a funny sound through the air valve while drinking.
2.  Metal construction causes it to heat up quickly in the sun.

Read more reviews of Kleen Kanteen gear
Read more gear reviews by alex legg