Reviews > Hydration Systems > Thermos Flasks > Avex Highland AUTOSEAL Travel Mug > Test Report by Andrea Murland

Avex Highland AUTOSEAL Stainless Travel Mug

Name: Andrea Murland
Email: amurland AT shaw DOT ca
Location: Kimberley & Elkford, British Columbia, Canada
Gender: Female
Height: 5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)
Weight: 130 lb (59 kg)

I began hiking frequently in 2006 and have since hiked in Western Canada, Australia, and spent 2 months backpacking in the Alps. I spend most weekends either day-hiking or on 2-3 day backpacking trips, with some longer trips when I can manage them. I also snowshoe and ski in the winter, but don’t have a lot of experience with winter in the backcountry yet. Elevation is typically 500-3,000 m (1,600-10,000 ft), in the Canadian Rockies and the Selkirk, Purcell, and Monashee ranges. I try for a light pack, but I don’t consider myself a lightweight backpacker.

Avex Highland Mugs

Model: Highland AUTOSEAL Stainless Travel Mug
Year of Manufacture: 2014
MSRP: 16 oz (473 mL) - US $22.99
20 oz (591 mL) - US $24.99
Size: 16 oz (473 mL) or 20 oz (591 mL)
Colours Tested: Blue Stainless 16 oz (473 mL) and Black Matte Stainless 20 oz (591 mL)
Listed Weight: None
Measured Weight: 16 oz (473 mL) – 336 g (11.9 oz)
20 oz (591 mL) – 369 g (13.0 oz)

Description & Initial Impressions

The Avex Sport Highland AUTOSEAL Stainless Travel Mug is a double-walled vacuum-insulated drink holder. It features an AUTOSEAL lid, to prevent spillage. The AUTOSEAL allows me to drink by pushing a button on the lid, conveniently located right where my fingers sit when I want to take a drink. This button also slides up and down, with the down position being “locked”, which prevents the button from being depressed.

The mug is made from stainless steel, with a plastic lid. The bottom of the mug has some rubber around the edge, and on the very bottom it reminds me that the mug is top rack dishwasher safe, not to microwave it, and that hot contents can release pressure when the button is depressed.

The manufacturer indicates that the 16 oz (473 mL) mug measures 3.3 in (8.4 cm) in diameter and 8.8 in (22.3 cm) in height, and will keep liquids hot for 5 hours or cold for 14 hours. The 20 oz (591 mL) mug is stated to be 3.3 in (8.4 cm) in width and 9.25 in (23.5 cm) tall, and keep liquids hot for 7 hours or cold for up to 20 hours. The heights of my mugs are the same as listed, though both sizes are smaller in diameter, just under 3 in (7.6 cm). I filled up both mugs to just below the threads for the lids (where the manufacturer says to fill to), and the volumes are about right, according to my not-so-accurate kitchen measuring cup.

The mugs came with an instruction sheet for care and cleaning. After some warnings about hot beverages, it indicates that the body and lid are top rack dishwasher safe, and then offers some tips for cleaning all the little parts of the lid.
Lid Details

Trying Them Out

Well, I didn’t conduct any scientific experiments with temperature (that will come...), but I worked an awful lot over the past week, so I have used the 20 oz (591 mL) mug quite a few times already. I am happy to report that the mug keeps hot liquids hot, and I have had a still-warm drink to come back to after forgetting it on my desk for a few hours by accident. The mug fits in the cup holders in the vehicles I’ve driven this week, too. I took the opportunity to turn the full mug upside down and shake it a bit, and didn’t have any dripping of liquid from the lid, so it appears not to leak. Further testing impressions will have to wait until my final report in four months!

Summary

The Avex Sport Highland AUTOSEAL Stainless Travel Mug is a vacuum-insulated, double-walled drink holder which promises to keep my liquids hot or cold and to keep them from spilling too. I hope that this proves to be the case when I’m hiking this summer!

Thanks to Avex and BackpackGearTest.org for the chance to test the Highland AUTOSEAL Stainless Travel Mugs! Check back in approximately 4 months (Oct 2014) for my Long Term Report to see if my coffee’s still warm.

Read more reviews of Avex Sport gear