Reviews > Lighting > Flashlights - LED > Pelican VB3 LED flashlight > Owner Review by Nanci Paroubek

March 04, 2010

NAME: Nanci Paroubek
LOCATION: Rodman, New York USA

I started backpacking over 20 years ago. My husband and I backpacked and car camped often when we were younger. Now we enjoy day hiking with our two kids and are getting back into backpacking because they're able to hike with us instead of on us. Typically 1-3 day hikes, most often local. We hike three seasons in the Adirondacks - black fly, mosquito, and cold. Most of our equipment comes from before I'd ever heard the term ultralight, but I have been known to cut down a toothbrush. With the kids, space and weight has become more of an issue.

Manufacturer: Pelican Products, Inc.
Year of Manufacture: 2009
Manufacturer's Website: Pelican Products Inc. VB3 2220 LED Flashlight
Listed Weight: 1oz (3 g)
Measured Weight (with batteries): 1oz (3 g)
Other details: listed as 3.5 inches long, mine measures 3 inches and 1 inch wide. (7.5 cm by 2.5)

The Pelican VB3 LED flashlight is a small, light weight LED flashlight that can be hand held or clipped on to clothing or to the brim of a hat. It will clip onto items up to one half inch (1.3 cm) thick, and the head of the light will rotate up to nearly 180 degrees to aim the light as needed. It uses two CR2032 3V Lithium coin batteries, with a listed battery burn time of 100 hours. It comes in black, orange, yellow, or translucent red or blue.

I have only used this light for seven days (and nights) of hiking thus far, but the first night was enough to convince me. I often (who am I kidding, always) need to get up to go in the middle of the night. As a result, my flashlight/headlamp gets plenty of use. This flashlight is smaller and lighter than my previous flashlight. It's lighter than my headlamp, and the little clip means I can use it hands free, or not, as I wish, and it won't fall off my head when I try to make sure my boots are safe.

The little clip also means I can attach it to the edge of my sleeping bag-no more hunting around in the dark for a light. The head of the flashlight can be swiveled to direct the light in nearly a 180 degree arc that starts facing in the same direction as the clip and ends facing away from it. The light can be clipped to the brim of my hat and face toward me, at the ground, or forward, or I can clip it to the edge of my shirt, and it can swivel into place from there.

I have never had the light slip from its grip, and it has stayed pointed in the direction it's placed. It lights when opened. The switch is secure and has not turned on accidentally. I found it easy to turn on and off without gloves, but I find it more difficult to do while wearing gloves or mittens.

The Pelican VB3 LED flashlight is lightweight, easily packed, and easily used. It's small enough for my day hike kit, and the clip means it won't roll away or be difficult to find in the middle of the night. This allows for hands free use, or not, as desired. It's brighter than my previous, heavier lights, and the ability to clip the light to clothing, and to direct the light has been surprisingly useful. The light turns on and off stiffly, which has kept it from turning on acidentlly, but I find it somewhat stiff to do with gloves.

Light. Small. Clip is secure, and more useful than I expected.

Switch too stiff for gloves

Nanci Paroubek

This report was created with the Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Pelican gear
Read more gear reviews by Nanci Paroubek

Product tested and reviewed in each Formal Test Report has been provided free of charge by the manufacturer to Upon completion of the Test Series the writer is permitted to keep the product. Owner Reviews are based on product owned by the reviewer personally unless otherwise noted.

All material on this site is the exclusive property of