Reviews > Lighting > Headlamps - LED > Nite Ize INNOVA STS Headlamp > Test Report by Jamie DeBenedetto

INOVA STS Headlamp

Me and the Saguaro

Age and Gender 41 year old female

Height 5' 11" (1.8 m)

Weight 170 lb (77 kg)

Head Circumference 22 in (56 cm)

Email JamieD1005(at)gmail.com

Background/Experience

I spent many hours of my youth fishing, rafting, creeking, and day-hiking in the wild places of Arizona. I caught the backpacking bug in high school. Presently I work as an exPAWdition leader so I'm in the field, usually with a pack of dogs, at least sixteen times a month. Primarily I'm a day-hiker with the occasional family camping trip mixed in throughout the year.
I prefer hammocks over ground sleeping and I gravitate toward multifunctional gear that enhances my comfort level with minimal fuss and weight. My total pack weight is typically less than 25 lbs (11 kg).

Location

Battery Requirements 3 AAA - Alkaline; Included
Tools Needed None

Warranty

Limited Lifetime USA; 10 yrs Australia and New Zealand

(Listed Specifications - Taken from the packaging and website)

Weight w/ Batteries 3.4 oz / 96 g
Bulb type 1 White; 2 Red LEDs

Modes

Both White and Red have 5 options: High, Med, Variable Dim, Strobe and Lockout
Red Lamp Output High - 8 lumens; Med - 2 lumens; Dim - 0.2 lumens
White Lamp Output High - 142 lumens; Med - 40 lumens; Dim - 3 lumens
Distance Up to 84 m / 275.5 ft
Red Lamp Burn Times High - 36 hrs; Med - 317 hrs; Dim - 602 hours
White Lamp Burn Times High - 4 hrs 40 minutes; Med - 26 hrs 40 minutes; Dim - 255 hrs
Extras Water and Impact Resistant to 1 m / 3.28 ft

(Observations as Received - Measured weights taken with a digital office scale)

Weight Total w/ batteries: 3.4 oz / 96 g
Lamp Dimensions Length: 2.5 in / 6.5 cm; Width: 1.5 in / 4 cm
Headband Dimensions Length: 18 up to 29 in / 46 to 73.5 cm; Width: 1 in / 2.5 cm

Product Description Back to contents

The Nite Ize Inova STS is a battery operated LED headlamp with Swipe-to-Shine™ technology. This means no buttons, instead the user need only swipe a finger across the top of the lamp to active either the white or red LED lights. The user can run through high, medium, variable dim and strobe modes on both colors by swiping more than once. It is also possible to lock the touch pad so the light won't accidentally activate. The polycarbonate body is impact resistant and waterproof to 1 m (3.28 ft). It's important to note, the instruction sheet clearly states that the STS interface and the users swiping finger both have to be dry in order for the unit to respond. The headlamp attaches to an adjustable elastic headband via a bracket already attached to the strap. This bracket allows the lamp to be angled downward up to 50 degrees. The battery compartment can be accessed while the lamp is attached to the headband. The lamp uses three AAA batteries, which were included.

Arrival Condition and Informational Material Back to contents

The Inova STS arrived in undamaged condition. As far as I can tell everything on the unit is working perfectly fine, despite my best efforts. While pulling the lamp out of the packaging I dropped it on my title floor. I was seated so it was less than a 1 m (3.28 ft) drop. Since then, everything appears to be working normally so I'm assuming no harm was done.

The packaging offers detailed information about the different LED modes, light output, run time, waterproofness, impact resistance, and maximum expected distance. The included instruction sheet offers warranty and operation information and explains how to attach the light to the strap bracket, and how to install/replace the batteries in English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch, Russian, and Swedish. Within the operation and battery sections there are also several helpful diagrams. These are on the English side of the page but look to be simple enough that non English speakers could still find value in them.

Expectations and First Impressions Back to contents

Well, my kids were already blown away by the STS technology. Anything touch pad-like is awesome in their world. I on the other hand have my reservations. I've already had some difficulty getting the swipe sensor to acknowledge my touch and that was just while sitting in my office, what will happen when I'm in the field in uncontrolled conditions? I'm also worried I won't remember how to unlock the light since I plan to store it in my pack locked, this could be a big deal when I need it.

On the upside, the light is incredibly bright especially on the high setting. One hundred and forty two lumens is, I'm sure, overkill for most things for which I will need a lamp. Assuming that's correct I will be using the Inova STS mostly in a lower setting and that will give me many hours of light. I'm also very happy about the drop resistance because obviously I've needed that safety feature already!

As a hands-free device I expect it to sit on my head comfortably without sliding down as I walk or bend down. I expect operation to be simple. Ideally it would be as intuitive as possible so that even if I were under stress or injured I could operate the light without any difficulty. I expect to easily be able to change out the batteries in the dark and without tools. And lastly, I expect the light to work well enough for me to hike safely, get things from my pack, deal with any emergencies, read maps, negotiate a camp area and alert others to my location.

I'm very much looking forward to testing the Nite Ize Inova STS. I hope it fulfills all my expectations. Either way, you'll know about it if you check back in approximately four months and read my Long Term Report.

My thanks to Nite Ize and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to be part of this test series.

- Jamie J. DeBenedetto 2014