Reviews > Packs > Frameless Backpacks and Day Packs > Deuter SpeedLite 24, SL22 and 24 > Test Report by David Wilkes

Test series by David Wilkes

Gender: M
Height: 5'11" (1.80 m)
Weight: 210 lb (90.7 kg)

Biography:

I started backpacking in 1995 when I moved to Washington State. Since then, I have backpacked in all seasons and conditions the Northwest has to offer.  I prefer trips on rugged trails with plenty of elevation gain. While I continuously strive to lighten my load, comfort and safety are most important to me. I have finally managed to get my basic cold weather pack weight, not including consumables, to under 30 lb (14 kg).

Product Information

Measured 741 g / 26.15 oz

Product Image
Product Image

Product Description:

The Deuter Speed Lite 24 is one of seven different size packs from their "Speed Lite" series of packs. It is intended to be a very light weight but feature rich pack for fast hikes or alpine outings. It is available in 3 colors; black, cranberry-maroon (what I received), and navy-alpine green.

July 30 2019

StrapsPrior to receiving the pack I had researched its features and so upon receiving the pack was surprise at how light it is despite the numerous features and giving the impression of a well constructed and durable pack. The pack is constructed from "100D PA HIGH TENACITY" yarn to be very light weight while also durable. The construction utilizes a very tight weave to assist with abrasion and tear resistance. The pack is given structure with a "Delrin U-frame" to help with stability and load distribution while adding a minimum of weight. The back panel and shoulder straps are ventilated for comfort and to further reduce weight. The back panel is also textured to increase airflow. The shoulder straps include load adjustment straps, a sternum strap and a feature I have not seen before a small elastic loop for securing my glasses when not in use (NICE!). The hip belt features ventilated and light weight "hip fins" with zippered pockets but no padding. All of the zippers on the pack utilize cord zipper pulls which is something I like as I find them easier to use with stiff cold hands and less likely to be damaged. The pack consists of one main compartment which is accessed by way of a double top zipper which extends down about 2/3 the length of the pack. Inside the main compartment is a hydration pouch which the manufacturer says is compatible with 2L and 3L hydration bladders. The hydration bladder pocket includes a bright orange hook-n-loop securing loop to keep the bladder secure. (Another nice detail!) Note that the single opening for the hydration hose is on the upper left side of the pack. Along the top of the pack there is also a smaller inner "valuables " pocket (sometimes called a goggle pocket) that is accessed via a smaller zipper opening in the top of the pack. The material for this inner pocket is printed with some emergency signaling information and inside of the pocket is a strap with a small plastic clip for securing something like a key ring. There are three external pockets. On either side are stretch mesh water bottle pockets and on the back is a large pocket with stretch mesh ventilation panels on both sides. The top of this pocket can be secured utilizing the upper two compression straps. There are two daisy chain strips of webbing on either side of the large external pocket for attaching gear as well as two ice ax (or trekking pole) loops at the bottom along with adjustable elastic loops at the top.

OpeningOne notable feature of this pack is that the 4 compression straps can be connected to each other to provide additional compression or to greatly reduce the pack volume. This looks like it should help to make the pack stable and secure for a large assortment of loads from totally full to almost empty, but I would note that the lower straps pass on the outside of the water bottle pockets. This could be advantageous in helping to secure whatever is in the pockets but also means that should I have a water bottle in one and remove it, it will likely reduce the effectiveness of the compression straps. I can see pros and cons for this and so will plan to report on how it actually performs during my testing. The last feature I will mention here is that there is a small tail light strap built into the bottom of the pack which is a nice feature for bike riding. This is a feature I am quite excited about.

My first impressions are that this is a very well constructed pack with far more features and a much more durable 'feel' than I would expect given its weight. This pack seems to achieve a very nice balance between useful features, construction, and weight. The only possible drawback might be the compression straps passing over the water bottle pockets but that is only under the assumption I don't end up finding that to actually be an asset.

Field Report

November 17 2019
Use:Deer Lake
  • Day Hike x3 -  Sand Lake – Washington Cascades ~5mi / ~8km
  • Day Hike x2 – Pacific Crest trail maintenance scouting, Central Washington  Cascades ~8mi /  13km
  • Day Hike – White Pass Ski resort

With one exception the weather for all of the outings involved warm weather and sun. The Sand Lake trips were causal recreational trips along one of my favorite trails. I carried my 10 essentials (I subscribe to the REI version of the essentials), and about 1L of water in two water bottles.
For the trail maintenance trips I carried some additional snacks but otherwise carried the same load.
The last outing was a hike up the access road from the base of the White Pass Ski area up to the summit of the ridge. The forecast was for temps just above freezing and a chance of rain. In addition to my basic kit I carried my full patrol aid kit, some additional clothing and a coat for my dog. While it did not rain, at the summit it was about freezing with light winds. The trail was a mix of gravel road, mud and sections of compact snow/ice. On the way back, about half a mile (.8km) or so we took a detour to descend down a section of snow that the resort had made the week before. Footing was tricky with thin ice crust with soft snow under it, and I was not wearing the best footwear for that.

The pack has been quite comfortable. I have not experienced any issues with rubbing, pinching or chafing from the pack, and so far the harness and hip belt straps have been easy to adjust for comfort regardless if I am wearing only a thin shirt, or a base-layer and jacket under it. I have worked up a bit of sweat on some of the hikes and the pack seems to provide some air flow between it and my back. The gear I have carried has not taken up more than about half to 2/3 the volume of the pack so I have utilized the compression straps during every trip. The compression system has allowed me to ensure the gear in my pack remains stable and does not shift. This was important for the last outing because my footing was tenuous at best and had my pack shifted it would have made things more dangerous (I know because many years ago a shifting backpack caused a fall which resulted in me breaking a bone in my hand. And my kids tease me about it to this day).

Talus SlopeI have tried a few different configurations with what gear I packed and what I attached to the outside. On one trip I carried one of my trekking poles strapped to the outside of the pack, and on another I attached one of my knives to the shoulder harness. The assortment of straps and attachment loops makes the pack quite versatile. I have used the side pockets for water bottles (1 and 0.5L sizes) as well as for snacks and other items I might want easy access to. I have found it difficult to get my water bottles in/out of the pockets while I am wearing the pack, but as this is something I experience with most packs I believe this has more to do with my flexibility (or lack of) than the pack.

Since my intent is to use this pack this year as my patrol pack I loaded it up with my patrol gear for our annual refresher weekend. While organizing my gear I discovered that the sunglasses loop on the chest harness is just the right size to hold my examination light and the small upper pocket of the pack does a nice job at holding the assorted small items that I want quick and easy access to. And the external daisy chain loops provide an exelent place to attach my tape holder. All my gear fit nicely and was easy to access during our training scenarios. I look forward to using it when the season starts.

So far I really like this pack for its comfort and versatility, and have not found anything that I don't like or might want to change.
Sand LakeRefresher

Long Term Report

due January 07 2020

This concludes my Field Report. I invite you to return in 2 months for the next installment.
I would like to thank the folks at Deuter
and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.

Read more reviews of Deuter gear
Read more gear reviews by David Wilkes