Reviews > Rain Gear > Jackets and Pants > DickiesWaterproof Breathable Jacket > Test Report by Coy Ray Starnes

Dickies Waterproof Breathable Reflective Jacket
Review by Coy Starnes
Initial Report: October 23, 2017

dickies rain jacket
                 front view of the Dickies rain jacket

Tester Coy Starnes
Gender Male
Age 55
Weight 250 lb (113 kg)
Height 5' 11" (1.8 m)
Chest 45 in (114 cm)
Waist 40 in (102 cm)
Torso approximately 20 in (51 cm)
E-Mail starnescr@yahoo.com
Location Grant Alabama USA

Tester Biography
I live in Northeast Alabama.  I enjoy backpacking, hunting, fishing and kayaking.  I enjoy hiking with family and friends but also hike solo occasionally.  Most of my hiking has been in the Southeastern US. I hike throughout the year but actually enjoy late fall or early spring the most with some winter hiking mixed in. I don't like the hot and humid weather of summer unless I can escape to the mountains where it is cooler.  My style is slow and steady and my gear is light.  I will sacrifice weight for comfort and durability to a degree. A typical 3-season load for me is around 20 lb (9 kg) not counting food and water.

Product Information
Item Dickies Waterproof Breathable Reflective Jacket
Manufacture Dickies
Year of Manufacture 2017
URL http://www.dickies.com/
Size tested XL
Listed Weight none given
Measured Weight 1 lb 13 oz (822 g)
Shell Material 100% polyester
Liner Material 100% polyester mesh
Color not named but looks like a dark slate grey
MSRP 89.99 USD

Product Description
The Dickies Waterproof Breathable Reflective Jacket is new for 2017.   I’ll refer to it as the rain jacket or simple jacket throughout the report.  It is listed as item # SJ707.  The hangtag on mine adds PRH which indicates Print Reflective Herringbone.  The rain jacket features hand pockets just above the waistline, both closed with waterproof zippers.  They are approximately 7 in (18 cm) tall and 7 in (18 cm) wide, plenty big for my hands or a place to keep small items dry.  There is an inside and outside chest pocket on the left side of the jacket.  Both open on the side next to the main zipper of the jacket instead of a top opening.  The outer chest pocket has a waterproof zipper.  The inside one is basically under it and closes with a small hook and loop patch in the center.  It has a small hole near the top, I suspect to feed earphones through.  Both these pockets are approximately 9 in (23 cm) wide and 7 in (18 cm) high.

The jacket is supposed to be breathable but the hang-tags and website do not say what technology is used to achieve this.  All I saw was that the material is 5.6 oz 100% polyester reflective print 10K/10K lamination.  There is a vent strip across the back but no pit zips.  The jacket also has a 100% polyester mesh liner.  The liner does not extend into the sleeves but there is a smooth cloth liner inside the sleeves. The sleeves are slightly tapered but the end is plenty big for a gloved hand to pass through.  It can be cinched down with hook and loop cuff adjustments.  The hood is average size and can be tightened with a stretchy cord and cord locks on each side.  The hood is said to be contoured, all I can say is it appears to offer plenty of rain protection.  The waist also has a stretchy cord and cord lock fasteners to aid in tightening it down.

Perhaps the most sticking feature of the jacket it the reflective nature of the material. A sticker on the jacket said “USE FLASH - TAKE MY PICTURE - REFLECTIVE PRINT”.   I patiently waited for it to get dark and stepped out on my back deck for this photo.  My daughter commented that it looks creepy.  Since I will use the jacket while bike riding I’m hoping the jacket is as visible in the day time, but honestly, it don’t think it is.  Oh well, it should be good if I ever get caught out after dark.  As I was taking the photo I forgot to set the timer so I’m including the first one which shows a good view of the Herringbone pattern.
                                                       reflective jacket material

dickies rain jacket
                               closeup of the reflective nature of the jacket

Care Instructions
The care instructions are printed on a tag inside the jacket.  They are: machine wash cold with like colors, do not bleach, tumble dry low, do not iron.  I took a photo of the care instructions and decided it shows the mesh liner well enough to share.
dickie rain jacket care instructions
                                                             care instructions and inner liner material

Initial Impressions
The jacket appears to be very well constructed.  With the addition of a mesh liner it is also a little on the heavy side for a "backpacking" rain jacket, but certainly not out of bounds weight wise.  With the addition of a liner, the jacket should be warmer than a thin single-layer rain jacket, so the extra weight is an acceptable trade-off.  The material feels slick on the outside and is a little noisy but the liner feels nice.

Trying it on
I thought I was a 44 in (112 cm) chest but I re-measured and I’m just a few hairs over 45 in (114 cm).  Anyways, I fall in between the Large and XL range on the websites size guide.  It shows Large as 42-44 in (107-112 cm) and XL as 46-48 in (117-122 cm) but says to go up to the next size if you fall between sizes.  I selected an XL jacket.  It fits me very well but is none too big.  I prefer my rain jackets to be a little on the big side so I can layer in the winter and they feel cooler in the summer than a snug jacket.  I put it on and it fits fine unless I reach overhead, at which point I begin to feel a little restriction.  The jacket length is not very long on me but I am long-waisted.  It also felt rather warm inside the house with the thermostat set at 72° F (22 C).  I wore it outside at 5:30 AM the next morning at 54° F (12 C) and it felt good in the chilly early morning air for the 30 minutes I was outside.

This concludes my Initial Report for the Dickies Waterproof Breathable Reflective Rain Jacket.  I would like to thank Dickies and BackpackGearTest.org for this testing opportunity.  Stay tuned for my Field Report which should be in approximately two months from now.
Read more gear reviews by Coy Ray Starnes