Reviews > Rain Gear > Jackets and Pants > DickiesWaterproof Breathable Jacket > Test Report by Michael Pearl

Dickies Waterproof Breathable Reflective Jacket
TEST SERIES BY MIKE PEARL

INITIAL REPORT - October 27, 2017

NAME: Mike Pearl
EMAIL: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcom
LOCATION: Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
GENDER: M

I have a great appreciation for the outdoors and get out at every opportunity. I am a three-season, learning to be a four-season backpacker and year-round hiker. Currently, my trips are two to three days long as well as an annual week-long trip. I utilize the abundant trail shelters in my locale and pack a backup tarp-tent. I like to cover big distances while still taking in the views. I have lightweight leanings but function and reliability are the priority. I mostly travel woodland mountain terrain but enjoy hiking beautiful trails anywhere.

Manufacturer: Williamson-Dickie Mfg. Co.
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Manufacturer's Website: dickies.com
MSRP: US$89.99 - $94.99
Listed Weight: Not Listed
Measured Weight: 26 oz (738 g)

Sizes Available: Medium through Triple Extra Large
Size Tested: Medium

Colors Available: Light Gray or Dark Gray (Print Reflective Crosshatch)
Color Tested: Dark Gray

Materials: 100% Polyester reflective print 10k/10k lamination

Features from company website and hang tag:
Waterproof and Breathable
8k/8k lamination and DWR finish
Sealed seams
Drop tail with drawcord hem
Zippered hand pockets and chest pocket
Front interior storm flap
Zipper garage and chin guard
Interior pocket with media port
Reflective Print, enhanced visibility in low light
Contoured adjustable hood
Adjustable hook & loop cuffs

The jacket arrived inside a plastic shipping bag. Attached to the jacket were two hang tags and a sticker. One tag had item coding and size. The other listed several of the main features and some company information. The sticker was the most interesting one. It said "use flash, take my picture, reflective print". I made mental note of it and went about looking over the jacket.

The jacket has an unique dark gray with lighter gray herringbone pattern. The exterior is smooth and makes a noticeable "crinkly" sound when touched. The two hand pockets, single chest pocket and main body zippers are robust and waterproof with good size pulls and two piece rubber tassels bearing the Dickies company name. The hood has a draw cord closure as does the bottom hem. I found the push lock style one at the hem easier to use. The two-hole adjustable style cord lock on the hood takes more movements and time to secure. The hand and chest pockets feel to be roughly the same size. All easily accommodate my hands, 4.5 x 4 in (11.4 x 10.2 cm) trail map or a Clif Bar. There is also an interior left chest pocket with a small square Velcro closure. This is the media pocket and has a small hole to allow a cord to pass for ear buds. All the pockets are lined with a soft mesh material. This mesh material is also found on the interior body of the jacket. On the back of the jacket at about shoulder level is a 9 in (23 cm) opening. The opening acts as a vent and is lined with the same mesh found elsewhere. The cuffs are adjustable using a Velcro strap.
IMAGE 2 IMAGE 3

IMAGE 4 IMAGE 5

All materials and construction appear to be of very good quality. All zippers, drawcords and closures move freely and function appropriately. I find no loose treads, stitches or defects in materials. All in all this looks like a stylish, sturdy wet weather jacket.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

Garment care - machine wash cold with like colors, do no bleach, tumble dry low and do not iron.

TRYING IT OUT

So after moving zippers, pull cords and ripping Velcro I put the jacket on. The first thing I notice is the "crinkle", the jacket makes lots of rustling noise. Next sensory input, the fabric feels smooth against my skin. The cuff openings are very generous and provide some air flow. The Velcro closure does allow for a tight fit if needed. When my arms are at my side the cuff touches my hand. However when raising my arms, my wrist become exposed. This is even more pronounced when flexing my arms at the elbow. The jacket fits nicely but the sleeves do not seem to move with me. The hem length of the jacket works better, fully covering the seat of my pants. When the zipper is completely closed it stops right at my chin. The zipper garage is sizable completely concealing the zipper so that I don't even feel it on my chin. The hood covers my head side to side but there is a lot of space above my head. Drawing the hood tight reduces this but causes my face to become exposed. The hood lacks a brim and when cinch doesn't project forward to cover my face. I fear I might be stuck between wet face or windblown hood when hiking in the rain.IMAGE 6

Now after looking over and picking through the jacket I revisited my earlier mental note. My first thought of reflective print was of a flashlight or car headlights shining on the jacket. I went into a dark room and shined a flashlight on the jacket. I didn't notice anything at all. So thinking of the "take my picture" line I did just that. And whoa a whole different jacket appeared! The effect in the photo is quite neat. I hope this reflective print might also work as a safety feature in the field. I find being visible at night in the rain no easy task.

SUMMARY

The Dickies Waterproof/Breathable jacket is well made and stylish with comfort in the rain in mind. It has a good balance of features to utility. I have two concerns going into this test, as with all rain wear degree of waterproofing. And in particular with this jacket the hood, will it stay in place and keep my head dry. I am watching the forecast to find that perfect hiking weather in the rain. Then the Dickies jacket will get its chance to settle my concerns.

This brings my Initial Report to an end. Testing in field conditions will take place over the next two months. Please return then for the Field Report. Thank you to Williamson-Dickie and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to participate in this test series.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.
Read more gear reviews by Michael Pearl