Reviews > Rain Gear > Jackets and Pants > DickiesWaterproof Breathable Jacket > Test Report by joe schaffer

Dickies Reflective Jacket

CHEST: 40 in (102 cm)
WAIST: 34 in (86 cm)
SLEEVE: 30 in (76 cm)
HOME:  Bay Area, California USA

I enjoy California's central Sierras, camping every month with a goal to match my age in nights out each year. For comfort I lug tent, mattress, chair and such. Typical summer trips run 5-8 days; 40 lb (18 kg), about half food and water related; about 5 miles (8 km) per hiking day in the bright and sunny granite in and around Yosemite. I winter base camp most often at 6,000 to 7,000 ft (1,800 to 2,000 m); 2 to 3 nights; 50 lb (23 kg); a mile or so (1.6 km) on snowshoes.

Product: flash jacketWaterproof/Breathable Reflective Jacket

Manufacturer:  Williamson-Dickie Mfg. Co
    Website: http://www.dickies.com

Weight: NA

Features: (from website & hang tag)
            •5.6 oz (159 g) polyester
            •Seam sealed
            •Contoured hood
            •Media friendly components

Colors:
             Print reflective crosshatch (light gray)
             Print reflective herringbone (dark gray)

Sizes: M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL

My Specs:  Large
        Weight: 1 lb 12 1/2 oz (809 g)
        Dimensions: (approximate)
             Hood-to-hem: 43 in (109 cm)
             Hem circumference: 46 1/2 in (118 cm)
             Sleeve: 36 in (91 cm)
             Tail drop: 2 1/2 in (6 cm)

MSRP: $89.99 - 94.99 US

Received: October, 2017

My Description:
    HOOD: The hood is contoured for a closer fit and has an elastic drawstring that pulls from both sides, stabilized with friction locks. There is no "brim," but (dry, anyway) it reaches forward a couple inches (5 cm).
    POCKETS: Each side of the jacket has a large pocket secured by a  vertical waterproof zipper; a chest pocket on the left side secured by a vertical, 'hidden' waterproof zipper; and on the backside of that pocket an inside chest pocket with vertical opening secured by a patch of hook and loop.
    SLEEVES: Cuffs can be adjusted with hook and loop secured adjustment straps.
    HEM: The hem has an elastic cord with pulls on each side, secured by cord lock.
    LINING: Most of the jacket body is lined with black mesh. The mesh is far enough away from the zipper to avoid conflict. Pockets are mesh-lined. Hood and sleeves are lined with black taffeta.
    ZIPPERS: The three pocket zippers and main zipper are all of water-resistant design.
    VENTS: A large "shingle" vent in back spans the shoulder blades. This vent is permanently fixed. There are no pit vents.
    Pictures: These were taken in low light to activate the camera flash and the reflective nature of the material. The actual (non-reflected) color is somewhat darker.

backImpressions:
   I like the textured look of the "clothy" material, and I'm thinking the gray should do a pretty good job of maintaining a reasonably neat appearance. It looks rather dressy for a work garment, but that's no problem for a fellow who does not work. The jacket feels industrial strength for the very worst of weather I'd ever expect to encounter. Comparatively speaking it is a little on the heavy side for a backpacking jacket (which is not the vendor's market position for this product), but I expect it to stay together better under the stress of a backpack. It feels "clunky" and does not fold up very small, no doubt due to the heavy coating of waterproofing laminate.
    I'm not a fan of "waterproof'" zippers, but these all seem to work smoothly enough. I don't like mesh lining, but I've already whined about weight and would more if it were heavier. I like the taffeta in the hood and sleeves and wish it were in the pockets as well. My fingers get chapped in the weather and then my hands snag on mesh lining like a scrub brush--hate that feeling!
    The pockets are of useful size and I'm glad the outer three all zip. I don't get the placement of the inner chest pocket directly behind the outer pocket. I'm wanting my camera in the outer pocket and my GPS in the inner pocket. I don't have to speculate to know what will happen when I take a header and smash those devices together. It also puts a lot of lopsided weight on me and I'm stumble-prone enough already.
    The fit is really good for me. I have the shoulder room I want, and yet the rest of the jacket feels appropriately trim. The hood feels like a proper fit sideways though perhaps a bit more space on top than I'd prefer. Vendor positions the garment for working men and thus it stands to reason the hood would be large enough to accommodate a hard hat. I like that it can be tightened. I often wear a broad-brim hat under a hood and without a drawstring the hat brim has a tendency to push the hood off, as well as to hold the hood open and let wind in. Sleeves are long for me, but they one-fold back to the perfect length and stay put. I like having margin to let them down in nasty weather to cover my hands. Neck zips up to my nose.
    Having worn the jacket in my mid-60 F (18 C) house for about four hours over a short sleeve cotton tee I can say I found the comfort level very high. I was warm enough, of course, but most notably did not feel moist or clammy.
    I'm looking forward to getting in some weather to see how this relatively very inexpensive jacket performs.

SUMMATION: Nice looking, well-made jacket for heavy weather.

Quick shots:
    a) good fit
    b) practical design
    c) stiff

Thank you Williamson-Dickie and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product. Field Report to follow in two months and Long Term Report in four.

Read more gear reviews by joe schaffer