Reviews > Shelters > Hammocks > Planet Hammock Single > Owner Review by Derek Hansen

Planet Hammock - Single

Height5' 10" (1.78 m)
Weight165 lb (75 kg)
Email Address Obfuscated electronic contact information
City, State, CountryFlagstaff, Arizona, USA

I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical weekend pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg), which includes food and water. I prefer lightweight trail-running shoes and backpacking with a hammock as part of my sleep system.

Manufacturer Wintec Trading, Netherlands
Year of Manufacture 2011, made in Indonesia
Manufacturer’s Website
Listed Features
  • High-grade, breathable parachute silk (nylon)
  • Attached stuff sack
  • Two stainless-steel hooks
  • Resistant to mildew
  • Can hold 353 lbs (160 kg)
Manufacturer Recommendations
  • Avoid long exposure to UV light
  • Do not enter hammock with sharp objects that could rip or tear the fabric
  • Hand wash and hang to dry

The manufacture also has a web page listing safety warnings.

Constructed out of one panel of fabric.

Weight: 11.95 oz (339 g)
Length: 107 in (272 cm)
Width: 57 in (145 cm)

Size: 128 x 60 in (325 x 152 cm)
Capacity: 353 lbs (160 kg)
Weight: 1.1 lbs (499 g)

Color Camouflage

Warranted against defects in workmanship and material. Requires return to the manufacturer.

The Planet Hammock Single hammock is a basic, durable, fairly lightweight, single-person, gathered-end hammock made of parachute silk (nylon). The fabric, when laid out flat, is rectangular. The long sides are hemmed with a triple stitch. The short ends are hemmed with a triple stitch, but create a loop where a rope can be threaded to gather the end. The hammock comes with two short lengths of rope, tied in a loop, that are used to gather the ends. Attached to the rope loops are a pair of metal hooks. The ropes attach to the hooks with a Lark's Head knot. The metal hooks are easy to remove.

A small stuff sack comes attached to the hammock on one of the long edges. The stuff sack uses a draw cord and plastic cord lock. The manufacturer's product tag and label are sewn onto the stuff sack.

This hammock comes in a variety of colors; I used the camouflage pattern version.

The construction of the hammock is very good, with solid, straight stitching throughout.

I've taken the Planet Hammock Single hammock on several day hikes and three overnight backpacking trips in 2011, including these highlighted trips:

Nov 3: Old Caves Crater, Flagstaff, Arizona. One of my day hike adventures, this time with my son and his school class. We hiked, slowly, up to the top of Old Caves Crater, an elevations change of about 800 ft (244 m), on a clear and cool morning. We had two major stops where I pitched the hammock: at the top, elevation 7183 ft (2189 m); and at lunch at the base of the hill.

Nov 10-12: Upper Pumphouse Wash, near Sedona, Arizona. I took a three-day trip into the Upper Pumphouse Wash in Northern Arizona where temperatures got down to 15°F (-10°C) with scattered snow conditions. Elevation was 6380 ft (1945 m).

In order to use this hammock out in the field, I needed to pick up some webbing straps to create anchor points around trees, and a length of rope to connect the hammock to the anchor point (suspension lines). I also removed the metal hooks since I don't really use this type of connector in the field.

Using the hammock at work.

This hammock packs down to about the size of two softballs, and was small enough that I carried it in my messenger bag that accompanies me to work each day. In fact, on a few occasions, I would take my lunch break in the woods that surround my work building and lounge in the hammock while I ate and read *yawn* boring books on leadership.

The key to get a comfortable lay in any gathered-end hammock is to establish a good sag between the anchor points. A desirable hang angle, when measured from the ground up, is 30 degrees. I found that I got a good lay with a hang angle between 30 and 20 degrees.

I have seven gathered end hammocks made from "parachute silk" nylon, and with one exception, they all have the same style of fabric, which feel a little thick and heavy. This translates in to a very sturdy feel and I had no doubts it would hold my weight.

At Old Caves Crater with the school kids.

And while the hammock is small, I have pulled one or two of my kids in with me on occasion. On my day hike with my son and his school class up Old Caves Crater, I had trouble keeping all the children out of my hammock. Everyone was quite surprised when we reached the top to find me and my son relaxing in a hammock. The best alternative for everyone else was lava rock. I had several parents ask if I brought the hammock or if I found it up at the top. I quickly explained that I did bring it with me and that it packs very small (I had a small day pack too, so I think this all confused them).

My son and I lounged in the hammock during the lunch break on this school outing. I felt a little bad that we had the best seat in the house. A lot of people asked where I got the hammock, how it worked, etc. It was a great PR moment.

The hammock does pack down very small. In fact, this is my one gripe about the product: the stuff sack makes a tight fit. There is just enough room for the hammock to fit, tightly, with no room for the extra rope and webbing straps, which I had to pack separately. I wish the stuff sack was just a little bigger, not only so the job of packing is easier, but so I could fit the other pieces in one bag.

Backpacking at the Pumphouse Wash.

I like the small size for backpacking and sleeping over night because I can use a smaller tarp and a tighter pitch to eliminate wind drafts. I also like the camo color scheme as it blends in nicely when I want to be more stealthy in my hangs.

I like the small pack size of this hammock, which makes it easily portable for day hikes or to relax along the trail. The hammock could use a bigger stuff sack to make packing easier.

PRO—Light, packs up small, comfortable.

CON—Stuff sack is small.

Read more reviews of Wintec Trading gear
Read more gear reviews by Derek Hansen

Product tested and reviewed in each Formal Test Report has been provided free of charge by the manufacturer to Upon completion of the Test Series the writer is permitted to keep the product. Owner Reviews are based on product owned by the reviewer personally unless otherwise noted.

All material on this site is the exclusive property of