Reviews > Shelters > Tarps and Bivys > Eagles Nest Flex Fly Utility Tarp > Test Report by Michael Mosack

ENO FLEXFLY UTILITY TARP
TEST SERIES BY MIKE MOSACK
July 18, 2014

NAME: Mike Mosack
EMAIL: mosack(at)earthlink(dot)net
LOCATION: San Diego, CA USA
GENDER: M

I've been backpacking for over 30 years, doing solo and group trips, with and without kids. I do day trips, weekenders and week-long or longer trips throughout the year. I backpack in all climates and seasons, from summer desert trips to Spring/Winter camping in Michigan, California and Grand Canyon, Arizona and I worked in Afghanistan for 4 years & rely on my equipment constantly. I prefer to go lighter when possible and am always trying new items. Quality and reliability of items are paramount to me over price and weight.

Image from website

Manufacturer: Eagles Nest Outfitters Inc.
Year of Manufacture: 2014
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com
MSRP: US $134.95
Listed Weight: 3 lb (1.36 kg)
Measured Weight: 2.93 lb (1.33 kg)
Weight breakdown:
Complete kit (Tarp, stakes, poles, bag) - 2.93 lb (1.33 kg)
1 Tarp - 28.6 oz (810 g)
4 Stakes - 1.1 oz (32 g)
2 Poles - 14.7 oz (416 g)
1 Bag - 2.42 oz (69 g)
Unfolded dimensions: (L x W) 10'6" x 10' (3.20 x 3.05 m)
Material: 210T Nylon Taffeta Ripstop w/PU Coating
Other details:
Image from website

I should note that the manufacturer's website states, "Tarps do not come with stakes. Stakes are sold separately."

This tarp is a flat piece of sewn nylon ripstop material that has a waterproof coating on it. There are six guy points (4 corners and one on each of two sides) along with a grommet in each corner to ease in setting it up. The front and rear sides are long enough to reach the ground with the included aluminum poles. The poles break down and easily fit into the provided carry bag. My tarp has the stakes with it however the manufacturer states that the stakes are sold separately. It appears there are multiple ways to set up the tarp to accommodate different applications.

I opened up the bag and found that the tarp, poles, and stakes all fit in the bag easily. Checking out the individual items, it appears that everything is made of quality materials. It packs small and takes up much less space than my tent. I like the size of the tarp and can see myself sleeping under it very soon.

I have limited experience tarp or hammock camping, but with this I might have to try them again.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

Instructions are available both online as well as on a hang-tag that was attached to the bag. Instructions printed on the tag include setting up the tarp, describing it as a two-step process. The instructions also cover the set-up with the addition of a hammock if one is available.

TRYING IT OUT

I set up the tarp utilizing the stakes and poles that I received with it. The tarp went up easily and quick. I can see that there are multiple options in how I might set it up. The tarp comes with grommets and stake-out lines already attached which makes setting it up very easy. Substituting the tarp's poles for my hiking poles will save pack-weight.

I own a hammock so I plan to try the tarp out with that as well during the upcoming test. Now I just have to find my perfect spot.

SUMMARY

Well so far, this looks like a quality item and one I'm sure will be an interesting product to test. I like the size of the tarp and how easily it sets up. I am not sure about the weight of the poles and stakes as I think there are lighter weight ones available on the market. Replacing the poles with my own hiking poles would reduce my pack weight significantly as I would have multi-purpose items in my pack. Changing out the stakes for lighter weight ones would also help but we'll see how this test will go.

I would like to thank both >Eagles Nest Outfitters Inc. and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me the opportunity to test this product.
Please check back in approximately two months for my Field Report.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Eagles Nest Outfitters gear