Reviews > Shelters > Tents > REI Dash 2 tent > Test Report by Kara Stanley

NAME: Kara Stanley
EMAIL: karguo (at) yahoo (dot) com
LOCATION: Phoenix, Arizona
GENDER: F

I have been hiking most of my life and backpacking since 2006. I have hiked mostly on the east coast, doing weekend trips in the Appalachian Mountains. Since moving to Arizona, my hikes have ranged from short desert hikes to overnight backpacking trips in the mountains. Recently I have taken up canyoneering and off-trail hiking/backpacking to spice things up. I currently use a solo non-free standing tent, canister stove, purification tabs, and lightweight trail runners, conditions permitting, to cut down on weight. My hikes are solo and range from an overnight trip to 4-5 nights on the trail.

Tent and rainfly when set-up

Manufacturer: REI, Inc.
Year of Manufacture: 2014
Place of Manufacture: Vietnam
Manufacturer's Website: www.rei.com
MSRP: US$349.00
Listed Packaged (as sold) Weight: 2 lb 15 oz. (1332 g)
Measured Packaged Weight: 2 lb 14 oz (1309 g)
Listed Minimun Weight (no stuff sacks, stakes, or ): 2 lb 7 oz (1106 g)
Measured Minimum Weight: 2 lbs 7 oz (1106 g)
List of weights for all parts of the tent:

Tent Stuff Sack: 0.94 oz (27 g)
Stakes and Stuff Sack: 5.60 oz (159 g)
Poles: 12.22 oz (346 g)
Tent without rainfly

Pole Stuff Sack: 0.38 oz (11 g)
Rain Fly: 11.64 oz (330 g)
Tent: 15.36 oz (435 g)

Other Details:

This is a two person, semi-free standing tent (it requires at least three stakes to remain upright) with two doors and two vestibules.

The tent is made from a ulralight weight materials. The floor and lower sides are made from a 15-denier ripstop nylon. This nylon is very light weight, thin, and seems fragile. It is also see-through. I can read the REI logo on the rain fly through two layers of the material.

About 6 in (15.24 cm) from the floor, the tent turns to mesh and the rest of the sides and the roof are mesh. I am looking forward to using just the mesh tent on warm nights without a chance of rain. Living in Arizona, I often leave the rain fly behind on summer trips.
The directions on the stuff sack
The nalgene size comparison photo

The tent was well packed with directions printed on the outside of the tent stuff sack. This covers setting up the tent and how to attach the rainfly correctly. It also lists out the items that the tent stuff should contain, which could be helpful if you happen to be reclaiming tent parts after splitting up the tent to share with a fellow backpacker.

Additionally, inside the stuff sack with the tent, there was a piece of paper with tent maintenance directions on it. This covered storage (store it dry in a cool place), cleaning (clean by hand with mild soap, use kerosene to remove pitch, sap and grease), zipper care (keep them clean and use silicone lubricant after each trip), sun (don't keep your tent in it longer than necessary), poles (keep them safe and use silicone lubricant on the ends to keep they sliding together easily), and fire (never use an open flame in the tent). The back of the sheet has "Helpful Hints" regarding finding a place to pitch the tent, how to use the rainfly, proper ventilation, stakes, and how to use the pole-repair tube.

TRYING IT OUT

The weekend after the Dash 2 arrived, I had a weekend backpacking trip planed so we threw the Dash 2 in our packs and dashed off to a canyon. My husband carried the tent on the way in and packed the tent in the main compartment of his backpack. He stashed the poles separately in an outside pocket. He was happy with how light his pack was despite carrying the whole tent.
Head of the tent with guyline and tightener

Once we arrived at the campsite, we found a nice flat place and checked it for anything that might damage the tent floor. We also carried the foot-print for this tent (sold separately) and I was glad we did. The tent seems fragile overall and I would not want to use it without a foot print or something else under it to protect the floor. The tent stuff sack has directions printed on it and we followed those. One thing that was different about the set up of this tent is that the rainfly loops onto the bottom of the poles under the loop for the tent floor. This did take us a few minutes to figure out. There are thin cords attached to the bottom of the tent to use to stake it down. Also, the guyline tighteners are cool - you simply pull the cord through it, then up to lock off the cord when the tension is correct. I haven't seen tighteners like this before, so at first I thought mine was broken until my husband showed me how to lock it off.
Close up of the zipper and the see through tent fabric

This is a semi-free standing tent - meaning that it does need to be staked down in order to stand up correctly. Overall, we didn't find the tent difficult to put up and I suspect that it will be easier and quicker in the future since we'll know what we are doing. While there were two of us putting up the tent, it would be easy for one person to put up on their own as well.

The tent is narrower at the foot than at the head of the tent - with the head of the tent having the two doors. We had two Therma-Rest NeoAir regular sized mats in the tent and found that we still had a bit of extra room. We are both 5' 10" (170 cm) and found that we had enough room to stretch out in the tent. We loved the pockets on the wall of the tent, one by each door, as well as the built-in loft at the top of the tent. They were useful for storing headlamps and lip balm for easy access during the night.

That evening we experienced an Arizona thunderstorm with wind gusts around 20 mph/ 32.2 km per hour as well as heavy rain. Overall the tent took it like a champ! There was a little bit of water that came in through the mesh as a result of splash-up from the heavy rain. The splash-up can be seen on the tent fabric in the picture of the zipper. It rained for about 30 minutes and during this time very little water got in. However, I plan to keep items away from the door areas during times of heavy rain. I'll be interested in seeing if water still splashes in during lighter rain storms, provided we get any more rain exposure during the test period.
Foot of the rainfly needs it own stake
The rainfly is droopy when set-up as directed

The one odd thing about this tent is that the rainfly covering the foot area of the tent is droopy when the tent is pitched according to the directions. I tried tying a knot in the cord to make the loop smaller and as close to the rainfly as possible in hopes of removed the extra slack from the foot of the rainfly. Even after all of these, the rainfly still has too much slack in it when hooked over the same stake as the tent. It seems that this could be solved with an extra stake. It seems that having a droopy rainfly could let rain into the tent. This didn't occur during the first rain storm, but I'll be watching for moisture in the at the foot area during the rest of the testing period.

SUMMARY

Great Start:
* Light weight!
* Easy to put up
* Two doors - one for each person
* Nice sized vestibules on each side
* Good head room - easy to sit up at the head of the tent by the doors

Things to watch:
* Droopy fly at the foot of the tent - will this cause problems or let dew in?
* Durability - will it last without holes or rips through the testing period?
* Zippers - they seem fragile and small - how durable are they?
* The tent floor seems thin and fragile - how will it hold up over time?

Many thanks to REI and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to be a part of this test series. Please check back in around two months for my Field Report.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of REI gear
Read more gear reviews by Kara Stanley