Reviews > Sleep Gear > Accessories > Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow > Test Report by Michael Pearl

SEA TO SUMMIT AEROS PILLOW
TEST SERIES BY MIKE PEARL

INITIAL REPORT - August 05, 2014

NAME: Mike Pearl
EMAIL: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcom
LOCATION: Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
GENDER: M

I have a great appreciation for the outdoors and get out at every opportunity. I am a three-season backpacker and year round hiker. Currently, my trips are two to three days long as well as an annual week-long trip. I utilize the abundant trail shelters in my locale and pack a backup tarp-tent. I like to cover big distances while still taking in the views. I have lightweight leanings but function and reliability are the priority. I mostly travel woodland mountain terrain but enjoy hiking beautiful trails anywhere.

Manufacturer: Sea to Summit
Year of Manufacture: 2014
Manufacturer's Website: www.seatosummit.com
MSRP: Not Listed

The Aeros is available in two sizes and one color scheme, green and gray. I am testing the Regular size Aeros.

The Regular
Listed Weight: 2.8 oz (78 g)
Measured Weight: 2.9 oz (82 g) without stuff sack weight of 0.14 oz (4 g)
Listed Dimensions: 14 x 10 x 5 in (35.5 x 25.4 x 12.7 cm)
Measured Dimensions: 13.5 x 9.5 x 4.5 in (34.3 x 24.1 x 11.4 cm)

The Large
Listed Weight: 3.7 oz (105 g)
Listed Dimensions: 16.5 x 11.5 x 5.5 in (42 x 29 x 14 cm)

Features

-Brushed 50D polyester knit
-Synthetic fill between pillow case and TPU bladder to increase comfort and wick perspiration
-Curved internal baffles create contours to cradle the head
-Scalloped bottom edges centers pillow around shoulders for back or side sleeping
-Multi-functional valve inflate pillow with a couple of breaths
Inflate
Deflate

The Sea to Summit Aeros Pillow arrived in its stuff sack attached to a small display hang tag. The hang tag shows an image of the pillow fully inflated along with much of the information listed above. I am surprised that a pillow of any substance can fit into such a small stuff sack.

When removed from the stuff sack the Aeros looks more pillow-like. Even though it's deflated and flat the shape and contours suggest a pillow. One side is gray with more of a felt feel. The other side is green and feels slick. While both sides feel good to the touch the gray side being slightly plush is definitely the sleep side. Not to mention the valve on the green side. The multi-function valve is different from any I have seen before and is really neat, more on the valve later. The stuff sack has a draw string and push lock closure as well as a small handle that runs the length of the sack.
IMAGE 4 IMAGE 5

Both the stuff sack and pillow look to be made of quality material and construction. I have to nitpick to find one tiny flaw, a loose string on the pillow. This will be easily remedied with a snip of the scissors and quick singe of the lighter.

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

The Aeros is pretty self-explanatory. While the multi-function valve is totally new to me and unusual, part of its beauty is its simplicity. Just one valve with two pull tabs. One tab labeled inflate and to other deflate. All there is to do is just pull the appropriate tab and breathe in or squeeze out air.
Cleaning instructions are found on a label inside the stuff sack; hand wash, do not iron, do not dry clean and do not tumble dry.

TRYING IT OUT

The inflate portion of the mulit-function valve opens with a slight tug. I am able to fully inflate the Aeros with three deep breathes. No need to rush closing the valve, it's one way. A small membrane inside the valve prevents air from escaping once I remove my mouth. The Aeros has a nice firm to squishy balance. The fabric is very soft to the touch. Lying down on the couch the Aeros is comfortable and supplies support whether on my back, side or stomach.

A quick catnap dreaming of my next trip and then it's time to pack away the Aeros. Again a slight tug this time to the deflate tab and the air rushes out. There is no hiss or whining as the air is released, just a quick, low whoosh sound. I close the tab and roll the pillow up. However it's a little too big to fit in the stuff sack. I pull the deflate tab again and this time leave it open. I roll the left side toward the valve then the right and squeeze the remaining air out. I close the valve and roll the pillow toward the valve and then close it. The Aeros now easily slips into the stuff sack. Again I am impressed with how small it packs down.

SUMMARY

I don't mind leaving the comforts of home behind when backpacking. I enjoy it, but the one thing I refuse to do without is a pillow. I always bring along that one creature comfort. And the Sea to Summit Aeros Pillow is comfy. I like that I can have my comfort and at minimal "cost". The Aeros is light weight and packs small. Silly enough I also really like something as simple as the valve. It's quick, easy and doesn't make any disruptive sounds. This is nice when packing up in the morning and trying to be respectful of the later rising mates.

This concludes my Initial Report. I look forward to dream filled nights with the Aeros Pillow over the next two months. Please return then for my Field Report. Thank you to BackpackGearTest.org and Sea to Summit for making me part of this test series.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Sea to Summit gear