Reviews > Sleep Gear > Accessories > Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Pillow > Test Report by jerry adams

SEA TO SUMMIT AEROS PILLOW
TEST SERIES BY JERRY ADAMS

INITIAL REPORT - July 11, 2014

NAME: Jerry Adams
EMAIL: jerryaadamsatyahoodotcom
LOCATION: Portland, Oregon, USA
GENDER: m

I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 1 to 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter). Mostly I stay in the Western half of Oregon and Washington. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 12 lb (6 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack.

Manufacturer: Sea to Summit
Year of Manufacture: 2014
Manufacturer's Website: http://www.seatosummit.com
Listed Weight: 2.8 oz (79 g) size Regular
Measured Weight: 3.0 oz (85 g) size Regular

The Sea to Summit Aeros pillow is an inflatable pillow for travel and backpacking.

It comes in two sizes:
Regular - 14 x 10 x 5 in (35 x 25 x 13 cm) - 2.80z (79g)
Large - 16.5 x 11.5 x 5.5 in (42 x 29 x 14 cm) - 3.7 oz (105g)

I got the size Regular. I measured the dimensions 13.5 x 9.5 x 4.5 in (34 x 24 x 11 cm) slightly less than advertised.

It has a brushed 50D polyester knit cover. It's yellow/green on the bottom with a "SEA TO SUMMIT" logo. It's grey on the top.

There is synthetic fill between pillow case and the bladder for comfort. It has curved internal baffles that create a curved shape that cradles my head.

The edge of the pillow that touches my shoulders has a curved shape to better fit around my shoulders and center the pillow under my head.

It takes a couple breaths to inflate. The opening has two caps. One cap is labeled "inflate" and has a valve. With this cap opened, I blow into it and the valve keeps air from leaving. A second cap labeled "deflate" has no valve. When it is opened, the pillow will deflate. The first cap fits into the second cap which fits into the pillow. Little plastic pieces keep the caps attached to the pillow so I won't lose them.

The pillow comes with a tiny stuff bag which weighs 0.15 oz (4 g).

Top of pillow (the side against my head):

Bottom of pillow:

Close-up of valve with both caps closed - ready for sleeping on:

Inflation cap opened - ready to blow more air into it:

Inflation cap closed, deflation cap opened - pillow deflating:

Wow! - I got it back into that tiny bag:

The Sea to Summit Aeros pillow looks to be well made. The fabric feels good. All the stitches are good.

The valve feels firmly attached. I opened the "inflate" cap and blew it up. I opened the "deflate" cap and let the air out. I blew it back up and closed all caps. The pillow feels good. The fabric against my face has a good feel. I deflated it and managed to get it into the storage bag.

I use my pillow resting directly on my self inflating mattress that has sort of a plastic feel. It seems like maybe the pillow will slide around too easily, but I'll find out during the testing.

One problem I have had with inflatable pillows is that they "roll". My head will shift from side to side with no resistance. The Aeros pillow has internal baffles that largely prevent this. It feels like this will work. I'll find out better during the testing period.

SUMMARY

The Sea to Summit Aeros pillow is a small, inflatable pillow for backpacking and traveling.

The 3 ounce (85 g) weight is very light for a comfortable pillow.

It packs into a tiny storage package.

Preliminarily, it feels like it will be comfortable.

I'll be testing it on two backpacking trips in each of the Field Report and Long Term Report periods.

Thanks to Seat to Summit and BackpackGearTest.org for letting me test this.

Look forward to my Field Report in a couple months.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1.5 Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Sea to Summit gear
Read more gear reviews by jerry adams