Reviews > Snow Gear > Snowshoes > MSR Revo Ascent 2017 Snowshoes > Test Report by Morgan Lypka

MSR REVO ASCENT 2017 SNOWSHOES

HEIGHT: 5’4” (1.6 m)
WEIGHT: 110 lb (50 kg)
EMAIL: m DOT lypka AT yahoo.com
City, Province, Country: Fernie, British Columbia (B.C.), Canada

Backpacking Background: I started backpacking 2 years ago, when I moved to the Rocky Mountains. I am originally from Saskatchewan, Canada, where I have done overnight canoe trips. Most of my backpacking ventures are 1 to 3 days long. I get cold quickly, but handle heat well. My backcountry trips involve hiking, trail running, ski touring and cross-country skiing. I am getting into kayaking, rock climbing and fly fishing. This year, I started solo camping. I camp with a lightweight 3-person, 3-season tent. Decreasing my packed weight in the backcountry is a developing focus of mine (fitting everything was the first).

PRODUCT INFORMATION AND SPECS
Manufacturer: Cascade Designs Inc.
Year of Manufacture: 2017
Manufacturer’s Website: https://www.cascadedesigns.com
MSRP: n/a
Listed Weight: 4 lbs 5 oz (1.92 kg)
Measured Weight: 4 lbs (1.81 kg)
Width: 8 in (20 cm)
Length: 22 in (56 cm)
Binding Type: PosiLock
Colour Testing: Olive
Additional Colours: n/a
Size Testing: 22 in (56 cm) (website refers to this size working for U.S. 4.5 W - 14 W, or EU 35 - 46)
Load for size: up to 180 lbs (80 kilos)
Load for size with tails: up to 250 lbs (114 kilos)

DESCRIPTION
The Revo Ascent Snowshoes are designed with steel DTC Crampon, perimeter teeth, PosiLock AT bindings and Ergo Televators heal lifts. The deck is injection-moulded plastic. The binding straps are said to work with gloves on, so I will be testing this. The setup is fairly straightforward, with 3 straps over the top of the foot, and one going around the heel. To tighten, the straps go under a steel hook, and back around the hook, securing the correct hole into a steel tooth on top of the hook. There is then a rubber piece that moves around the strap where the extra strap end can be secured into. The Televators heal lifts, to help with hiking uphill, are said to be pulled up with the flick of a pole. I will be testing this in the field as well. Modular Floatation tails (5-in or 13 cm) are available for purchase as an add-on.

I love the rubber elastic bands that came around the snowshoes. My inclination is that these came just for packaging transport but I plan to keep these to hold them together in the backcountry when I'm carrying them (I have no idea how long the rubber will last in the backcountry though). I like the mix of colours on the snowshoes.

The informational paper that came with the snowshoes refer to them as being "men's" snowshoes. In the application process nor on the website did I see them referred to as men's snowshoes, so I'm curious to see if, while using them, I will notice any aspect of the design that doesn't work as well for me. The snowshoes seem to hold onto my boots very well, as can be seen from the hanging boot photo. The Televators seem possibly a bit too far back for my size of feet. In the picture below I'm testing them with my largest boot (outside of my snowboard boots which I will try them with as well). Field tests will tell! The snowshoes are fairly straightforward to put on, which is nice. The straps are also a bit long for my size of boot. This can especially be seen in the bottom right photo, the Televator photo, where the back strap sticks out a fair bit. I could be at risk of stepping on it while hiking, so I will likely figure out the best spot to tuck it.

instructionsnowsnow2
Informational Paper | Snowshoes Stacked | Snowshoes Stacked Side View with Rubber Bands

boot hangtelevator
Boot in Snowshoe Hanging | Boot with Televator

SUMMARY
I’m excited to test these snowshoes on the mountains! I'm already realizing from initial review that the snowshoes might be fabricated for larger boots than mine. The straps seem to be a bit too long, and I'm interested to see if the Televators will work with my boots, as my boots seem to just be on the cusp of being long enough for them. Otherwise, my boots seem to fit securely in them.

Thank you BackpackGearTest.org and MSR for allowing me to trial the Revo Ascent Snowshoes in the backcountry! Stay tuned for my Field Report come two months, post various shoe fits and snowy adventures.

Read more reviews of MSR gear
Read more gear reviews by Morgan Lypka