Reviews > Packs > Frameless Backpacks and Day Packs > Gregory Z35 or J33 day pack > Test Report by Kara Stanley

GREGORY J33

NAME: Kara Stanley
EMAIL: karguo (at) yahoo (dot) com
LOCATION: Phoenix, Arizona
GENDER: F

I have been hiking most of my life and backpacking since 2006. I have hiked mostly on the east coast, doing weekend trips in the Appalachian Mountains. Since moving to Arizona, my hikes have ranged from short desert hikes to overnight backpacking trips in the mountains. Recently I have taken up canyoneering and off-trail hiking/backpacking to spice things up. I currently use a solo non-free standing tent, canister stove, purification tabs, and lightweight trail runners, conditions permitting, to cut down on weight. My hikes are solo and range from an overnight trip to 4-5 nights on the trail.

Manufacturer: Gregory
Front view of the backpack

Year of Manufacture: 2013
Manufacturer's Website: http://gregorypacks.com/
MSRP: US$ 158
Specifications by Size:
Small -- Vol: 33 L, Wt: 1.19 kg / 2 lb 10 oz, Torso: 41 - 46 CM / 16 - 18 in
Medium -- Vol: 35 L, Wt: 1.27 kg / 2 lb 13 oz, Torso: 46 - 51 CM / 18 - 20 in
Measured Weight: Backpack: 2 lb 15 oz/ 1332 g, Rainfly: 3 oz / 85 g Combined: 3 lb 2 oz/ 1417 g
Colors: Moonrise Purple, Fog Gray , Astral Red
Color Tested: Moonrise Purple
Comfort Zone for Pack Weight:: 35 lb/ 15.88 kg

From the Hang Tag:
There is a discription Gregory Mountian Company as a company as well as what has been done to update the he Z & J Series of backpacks. They have added a totally breathable backpannel, shoulder harness and waistbelt for cool comfort on the trail. The materials are light weight and durable materials the suspension system is dynamic and auto-balances the flexibility and stiffness as pack weight increases.

Features:
* Women's specific design
* Updated CrossFlo Suspension
* Ventilated backpannel
* Wrap-over padding on waistbelt for added comfort
* Integrated, color-matched rain cover
* Two external stretch water bottle pockets
* Hideaway ice axe/trekking pole loops with secure carry

The hang tag also states that this product has a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the materials and the workmanship.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS AND PACK OVER VIEW

Hip padding and back ventilation panel
Zippered pocket on the hip belt
My first impression of the pack when opening the box was that this pack could be packed down well. With all the compression straps pull tight for shipping, this bag seemed quite small at first. This will be good for day hikes with smaller loads.

I was impressed with the ventilation back panel, it looks like it will allow air to flow between my back and the pack. The back panel is designed with the top and the bottom on the pack resting on the shoulders and hips while the back panel curves away from the back to allow air to flow between the pack and the wear's back. I look forward to trying this out during the heat of an Arizona summer! However, the curved back panel also reduces the amount of room in the main compartment. The waist belt and shoulder harness are made of a lightweight foam with cutouts for ventilation. There are zippered hip pockets on each side of the hip belt. The hip belt closes with a quick adjust buckle system. The sternum strap has a buckle and the ends of the strap are able to be slid up or down the shoulder harness to allow the wearer to adjust them to a comfortable level. The sternum strap doesn't have an integrated whistle like some of the other packs I have used do. While I rarely use the integrated whistle, I like knowing that I always have one handy when wearing a backpack.

Full zip opening and full water blatter pocket
Storage pocket for the rain cover
There is a large bucket style pocket on the outside of the backpack that allows for easy access to small items. There is a small hole, about 1 in / 2.5 cm long and 1/2 in/ 1.25 cm wide at the bottom of the pocket, which could allow smaller items to fall out of the pocket. There is a zipper around the outside of the bucket pocket that provides direct access to the main compartment. As pictured to the left, there is a zipper pocked that contains a rain cover in a matching color. This rain cover also has a loop on the inside so that it can remain hooked to the pack while in use. I assume that this is to prevent it from getting lost when opening the back or getting blown away on a windy day. Since it doesn't rain much in Arizona, I like the back that the rain cover is detachable as I do not plan to carry it with me unless the forecast calls for rain.

The rain cover can be attached to the pack
Top pocket's inner pocket with key hook
The main compartment also closes with drawstring top closure that has a cinch strap and buckle to compress the load and keep the pack closed. Inside of the main compartment, there is a full sleeve for a hydration bladder. I tested it out with my 3 L bladder and it fit with room to spare. Additionally, just above the hydration bladder sleeve, there is a small loop

On top of the drawstring closure, there is a top pocket. While Gregory's website lists that the J33's top floating pocket could be removed, I could not find a way to remove the pocket as it looks to be stitched to the back. I find this disappointing, as I often leave the top pocket behind to save weight if I do not needed on that specific hike. The top pocket has an external zipper pocket as well as a smaller hidden zipper pocket with a key hook.

And finally, this pack had the longest zipper and draw string cinch pulls of any pack I have seen. These will make finding the pulls easier, but they do seem a bit excessively long

Long zipper/cinch pull next to a AA battery

READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

The hang tag attached to the pack has a size chart listing out the volume of the pack and the weight for the pack by size. Gregory's website indicates that the pack is only for sale in small and medium while the attached hag-tag indicates that there is also an extra-small option for this pack.

There are no care instructions or cleaning directions listed on the hang tag.

SUMMARY

This pack has a lot of nice features that I look for when selection a pack. I'll be interested in seeing how the pack performs over the summer!

Pros:
* Double Hip Pockets
* Internal zippered compartment with key hook on the floating top pocket
* Comes with a rain cover
* Ventilated back panel
* Zippered Pockets on each hip

Cons:
* The top floating pocket is attached to the backpack and cannot be removed
* There is a small hole in the bottom of the external bucket pocket which batteries and other small might fall out of.
* The buckle on the sternum strap does not have an integrated whistle

FIELD REPORT

Conditions: Hot and sunny
Estimated Weight in pack: 15 lbs/6.8 kg

PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

Day Hike with the Gregory J33
I have carried the pack on two day-hikes and two overnight backpacking trips so far and find it comfortable and cool. I found that the back panel did in fact allow some cooling breezes between my back and the pack, which is great for Arizona summers. I also found that my back seemed to sweat less with this pack that it has in the past with other packs.

I was able to pack a fleece sleeping bag, tent poles, hammock, 2 days worth of food, and an extra change of clothes into this pack for an overnight trip. However, there wasn't much room to spare and I am not sure that I would have been able to use it for a longer trip and I know that my down bag will take up most of the room in this pack. Additionally, I was hiking with a partner so I was able to share the space of a tent and stove which allowed me to take this pack. I am not sure that I would be able to take this on a solo trip when I needed to carry the tent (tent poles don't require much room).

For the day hikes I took, I found the pack to be too large, but was able to use the compression straps to cinch the pack down and make it smaller for day hiking.

I haven't had any pressure points from wearing this pack, however that could be due to carrying lighter load than I normally would on longer or winter backpacking trips.

I love the hip pockets on this pack, being able to keep some snacks, tissues, and lip balm handy is great while hiking. The U-shaped zipper into the main compartment has been useful. I enjoy being able to set my back down and access gear without spreading everything in my pack on the ground or brush. While backpacking may involve dirt, I do prefer to keep my stuff out of it when possible and this pack makes that easier.

While I have not had a chance to really test out the water-proof cover, I have attached it while hiking when rain looked imminent. I think putting on the rain cover ensured that the rain stayed away. I do like that the rain cover can be hooked to the pack with a clip - this was useful when putting on the cover during windy conditions. Overall the cover was easy to use and good to have along. I do leave it at home when there is little or no chance of rain as it does take up some space and I like using the rain cover pocket for other items.

SUMMARY

So far I have enjoyed the pack a lot and have not had any issues. It was easy to fit and comfortable. It does seem to be cooler that several other packs I have used in the past. This makes a good summer pack as it has just enough room for the gear I need.

Please check back in a couple months to see the conclusion of this test series. I would like to thank Gregory and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to be part of this test.

This report was created with the BackpackGearTest.org Report Writer Version 1. Copyright 2014. All rights reserved.

Read more reviews of Gregory gear
Read more gear reviews by Kara Stanley